• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Curious... There's no place like home ...

New2CUCVs

Mom & Dad are leaving the family "home-place" to me & my wife (29 acres). We want to build a house there but, we've got our work cut out. Needs lots of clean up---15 yrs of unrestrained Mother Nature. I see several trips to the landfill, pulling stuck tractors out of the mud, and lots of other heavy hauling/pulling in our future. My 1009's great but, way too small for any serious work. Could get a civy 4x4 1-ton, just not enough truck. Was thinking about buying something with a little more heft. Besides, big MV=fun, right :p? I know, big MV also=$$$ depending on use/abuse :cool:. I have a CDL and I'm fairly mech. inclined. I like simple/rugged but, ease of operation will factor in. Pros/cons -5-ton cargo or deuce? Comments appreciated.

KsM715

M817 w/winch. Big, will haul whatever you ask it to, and the dump bed makes for easy unloading at the landfill. :-D

Of course it might be a little over kill when you have to go to HomeDepot for 2 more bundles of shingles when you run short.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
The 817 is a great dump truck but getting parts for the 250 Cummins is becoming difficult.
I am replacing the 250 in my wrecker with a 290 for that reason.
Unless you need the capacity of the dump I would go with the deuce with winch and put a dump bed on it. Several members here have done it.

By the way....since you are not that far away I hope you can make it to my mini-rally next month.....do a search for "Wreckerman's Spring fling" and the thread will pop up.

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm not sure why almost everyone here has jumped on the "he needs a dump truck" bandwagon. M817s are expensive, they are pulling $6K to $10K at auction, since the quarries and construction companies seem to snag them all. Unless he'll be doing dirt moving for a living, I suggest a deuce will be good enough. If he really needs a dump bed, he can always add one on, like Stretch did, at a later date. But for general hauling and cleanup, the deuce is more than adequate.

Last edited:

LanceRobson

I think the M813 w/w with dump hoist thought of wreckerman's is a pretty good one.

An M817 has a higher rear bed lip due to the dump box shape and it's harder to load with stuff like brush, lumber, construction materials etc. From memory the rear lip of an M817 bed is above my shoulders at 6'4". It's a tough thing to climb into and out of, especially when slippery. Also the dump bed is an awkward shape for loading and stowing general cargo. A cargo bed is a lot more versatile and more friendly to your back.

Lance

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks