• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Current M35A2 value?

TechnoWeenie

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I checked on historic plates with the DOL here in Spokane WA. I was told that it would get me around the weight rating issue but that I couldn't legally haul anything in the bed (not even so much as a personal dump run) and no towing trailers. I can't wait to jump the line into Idaho so that I can be done with Washington State. I've been here my whole life but it sure doesn't feel like home anymore.
Collector's vehicles cannot be used to haul a load. Enforcement is at the discretion of the officer. Technically, it would be illegal to haul a military trailer with a dummy 2000lb bomb on it used for displays, because it's a 'load', however one could argue that it's part of the trailer.

The same silly rules apply to 5 tons re: 'in commerce' and CDLs.. You wanna drive to 7-11? You're fine. Your buddy says 'hey, grab me a slurpee while you're there, here's 2$' and bam, his slurpee is now a load, and you're engaged in commerce and need a CDL.

Gypsyman

This is exactly what I'm talking about. Collector vehicle plates = no loads allowed (and no CDL required) and it can only be used for occasional driving. Non-collector plates = limited to the 26,000 lb GVWR or GCWR. It would appear that we are in agreement on the law and how it applies.

PM inbound...

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Note that GVWR and GVW aren't the same thing.

GVWR is unalterable and is assigned by the manufacturer. It's what the vehicle is capable of weighing, fully loaded. If the law is triggered by GVWR, then there's not much that can be done.

GVW is what the vehicle actually weighs and varies based on what you put in it. This is at least somewhat controllable.

I've seen laws in various states based on both GVWR and GVW.

Gypsyman

GVWR is unalterable and is assigned by the manufacturer. It's what the vehicle is capable of weighing, fully loaded. If the law is triggered by GVWR, then there's not much that can be done.

GVW is what the vehicle actually weighs and varies based on what you put in it. This is at least somewhat controllable.

Exactly. It has been confirmed to me directly by the WSDOT in multiple emails that the GVWR on the data plate is what they go by. The GVWR's are combined when a trailer is in tow. When I was looking at gooseneck trailers I had to find one that when combined with the 12,000 GVWR of my pickup kept me under the 26,000 limit for Washington.

I have a friend that runs a hotshot company and somehow he orders goosenecks with a lower rating on the data plates to keep his drivers under the 26,000 limit. I purchased one of his used trailers for a song so I have a 15,900 rated trailer that shows a 13,000 GVWR on the data plate. When combined with my truck I'm at 25,000 total per the data plates.

Over here on the east side of the state I see virtually brand new dual tandem gooseneck trailers (20,000 GVWR) come up for sale every summer. Took me a while to figure out why. People buy them, get ticketed shortly after pulling them with pickups, and put them up for sale at a loss. I really wanted one of these for the safety factor but the risk of getting stopped was just too great. Thankfully the local dealer was up front regarding this issue and told me that pulling one was just asking for trouble in Washington.

I may just have to switch to collector plates. The Deuce has a 23,000 GVWR which is fine but when combined with my M105A2 trailer with a GVWR of 5,750 you're at 28,750 which is well over the limit for Washington.

Sorry for the derail. Should have taken this elsewhere...

Last edited:

TechnoWeenie

Steel Soldiers Supporter
This is exactly what I'm talking about. Collector vehicle plates = no loads allowed (and no CDL required) and it can only be used for occasional driving. Non-collector plates = limited to the 26,000 lb GVWR or GCWR. It would appear that we are in agreement on the law and how it applies.

PM inbound...

No. It's not just weight, it's weight AND use, in WA. Not all states are the same...

TechnoWeenie

Steel Soldiers Supporter

It really doesn't help, that in WA, you can register based on GVW, but other things are based on GVWR... So, even though a tractor might be 25K GVW, it might have a GVWR of 100K....but you can register it as a 25K GVW vehicle... to lower the price of registration... but you're limited to 25K GVW... You can either get a trip permit or pay weight for one month.... So, let's say you get a truck and you know your load won't exceed 20K with trailer... You'd register it for 45K, even though GVWR is 100K.... Oh, BTW, it still triggers the CDL requirement if GVWR is over 26K and used in commerce, even if the GVW isn't 26K....An empty M923 carrying aforementioned slurpee transportation might only weigh 23K but if its GVWR is 26K+ (which it is) and used in commerce, you need a CDL.

Clear as mud? Good.

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ah, so easy up here in Ontario, Canada. We get shafted either way, because a vehicle is "commercial" as soon as it exceeds 4600kg GVWR (11,000lbs), regardless of actual use. So, your F-350 has "commercial" on the registration, even though you only get groceries with it. Exempt from daily log requirements but if a road is signposted as "No commercial vehicles" you will get a ticket with your F-350.

Anything over 11 tons (24,000 lbs) GVW or GVWR requires a CDL, period. No "personal use" or "not for hire" exists here.

Historical license plate? Yup....up to 4600 kg/11,000 lbs. Heavier? Full commercial, including log book, pre-trip inspection etc.

If one has a few vintage cars, it is likely ok, but collecting any vintage heavy iron is not fun in Ontario if you want to be compliant and it is $$$$ as a consequence.

fleetmech

Back to the subject of prices...

In this day and age, fewer and fewer people are interested in or capable of doing the work needed to keep any classic, but especially an MV, on the road. Thus, trucks that are done or at least pretty, go for the big bucks regardless of how much the trucks are worth on average or if the quality and type of work done on the truck makes it worth the asking price.

Couple that with the "American picker/ big auction house" mentality of everything old being a very special and valuable antique and the price on average rises.

Other drivers of average costs are stability and scarcity. In an unstable world, a truck with a reputation for toughness and the built in ability to burn almost any flammable liquid is going to be a more valuable commodity.

As for scarcity, it might be useful to compare the deuce to the Mosin Nagant rifle. In times past both were cheap and plentiful enough for many to consider them disposable and many of them were treated as such. Decades later the supply doesnt seem so infinite anymore, and combined with the point I made about stability and suddenly they dont seem quite so disposable anymore. Even if its way in the back of peoples minds, the thought is there: That kinda clunky and shoulder punishing old bolt action beater might just keep you fed or safe, and that noisy, rough riding, old steel soldier might just get you and yours out of harms way when the neighbors civic or tesla wont. Is it a realistic thought process...who knows?

TechnoWeenie

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Back to the subject of prices...

In this day and age, fewer and fewer people are interested in or capable of doing the work needed to keep any classic, but especially an MV, on the road. Thus, trucks that are done or at least pretty, go for the big bucks regardless of how much the trucks are worth on average or if the quality and type of work done on the truck makes it worth the asking price.

Couple that with the "American picker/ big auction house" mentality of everything old being a very special and valuable antique and the price on average rises.

Other drivers of average costs are stability and scarcity. In an unstable world, a truck with a reputation for toughness and the built in ability to burn almost any flammable liquid is going to be a more valuable commodity.

As for scarcity, it might be useful to compare the deuce to the Mosin Nagant rifle. In times past both were cheap and plentiful enough for many to consider them disposable and many of them were treated as such. Decades later the supply doesnt seem so infinite anymore, and combined with the point I made about stability and suddenly they dont seem quite so disposable anymore. Even if its way in the back of peoples minds, the thought is there: That kinda clunky and shoulder punishing old bolt action beater might just keep you fed or safe, and that noisy, rough riding, old steel soldier might just get you and yours out of harms way when the neighbors civic or tesla wont. Is it a realistic thought process...who knows?

Please do not remind me of all the $60 91/30s and $40 CRATES of 880 rds of 7.62x54r that I kept putting off every time I saw them.....

I hate you. rofl

BaconFarms

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm a bit late to the party, but, there is one in the Wausau or Stevens Point area of Wisconsin for aroung 6500, but he was willing to part with it for a trade with me for not that much value a couple months ago. He sent me pictures and it looks original Military, etc. It' a runner and he put 6 new 1100's on it last year. The prices are not quite as high as some have suggested on here, but location counts.

On the other end of the spectrum, I picked mine up at a local equipment auction for 900 bucks. Runs, but need everything. Used as a water truck on a potato farm for the last 100(?) years. But, I thought I needed one. And, I was in the Military for 28 years and have had my fill of Military trucks, LOL, but I do like old trucks and a 6x6 is cool. I have so many miles in HMMVW's, I don't care to ever ride in one again. Back in the day, my first truck in service was a 5-ton stick and then we went to the 5-ton auto.

Good luck and check out marketplace in Northern WI, 54501, 54401 and 54402 zip codes.

BaconFarms

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I haven't really been following the market for deuces here (michigan) , but haven't seen one on CL in a long time and very few on market place .
But in the last year I've had two cash offers , one for $8500 and one for $10,000 . I haven't really done much since I got it in 2009 other than a brake job (wheel cylinder leaking again) and a rattle can paint job . It had a lot of expensive parts replaced by the military shortly before being surplused . Don't use it much but plates are good for 8 more years and insurance is cheap . The front fenders been patched and the tailgate is beat up , but other than that pretty much rust free. I keep it on hunting property with a HOA that hates it but no rules against it other than township ordinance for plates and insurance , this alone makes it worth keeping.

Edit{ spelling

Last edited:

ToddJK

I haven't really been following the market for deuces here (michigan) , but haven't seen one on CL in a long time and very few on market place .
But in the last year I've had two cash offers , one for $8500 and one for $10,000 . I haven't really done much since I got it in 2009 other than a brake job (wheel cylinder leaking again) and a rattle can paint job . It had a lot of expensive parts replaced by the military shortly before being surplused . Don't use it much but plates are good for 8 more years and insurance is cheap . The front fenders been patched and the tailgate is beat up , but other than that pretty much rust free. I keep it on hunting property with a HOA that hates it but no rules against it other than township ordinance for plates and insurance , this alone makes it worth keeping.

Edit{ spelling
I've noticed that myself about the lack of trucks around here in MI in any ads for sale. I couldn't find any a while back when I bought mine as any of the surplus places that used too either don't have any or the place went out of business. That's why I drove out of state, but well worth the trip. I had one guy a while back ask me how much I'd take for it, I just told him it's not for sale. Almost seems like anyone who knows a little about the these trucks want them now due to the fuel capabilities, especially those getting into the prepper game.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks