• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Current paint color to match a 1958 M37?

MajRJO1967

I have a 1958 M37. I'd like to paint it back to the original 1958 color of 24087. However, I'd like to use a more durable paint than the original. I know both Gillespie and Arevoe have the color and spec, but I'm looking for a more durable paint.

Does anyone know the closest match (color ID number, brand, etc) I can use to get some paint mixed locally (New Hampshire)?

FS 595b shows 24084 as close, but I'm not convinced it's close enough. If you have a color in mind and have any info, I greatly appreciate it.

I also heard 24052, 34072, and 23070, may be close. (34072 is flat, and the others are semi-gloss).

Cheers
RickO

CGarbee

There is a long post by David Doyle on this site discussing paint COLOR and the changes to the colors as a result of updates to the Federal Standards. In short, the current 24084 is the same COLOR as the 24087 that was used on the M37 when it was first built. As far as the paint goes, Gillespie is the overwhelming choice of folks on this, and other, forums when using a single part synthetic enymal (sp?). As said, anyone with a good paint computer (any supplier of automotive paint) can color match with the Federal Standards as long as they have that set of paint formulas, and if they don't, they can get them from Glasurit, PPG, etc with just a phone call.

I shoot Gillespie on my MV's, but shoot Glasurit on my Porsche's... :)

MajRJO1967

Thanks. I'm trying to steer away from the enamels and go with something more durable and longer lasting like a 2-part epoxy oe urethane.

I'm just not sure if there is a color chip already produced close to the 1958 24087 color.

I'm hoping there's a color chip already out there because I really don't have any parts with that original color (the truck was painted red by the local fire department....stop me if you heard that before). And the parts I "possible" could get the color from are faded, chalked, weathered, etc.

CGarbee

You don't need a color chip for them to match.
All you need to tell them is that you need it to match FS 595b 24084 to get the same color as the 1958 24087. They will have the formula in the computer, or they can contact the manufacturer of the paint that they sell in order to get the formula.

Good luck.

JDToumanian

I see that RAPCO doesn't list 24084 on their website... Does Gillespie not make it? Where to get it? (in oil based enamel)

Also, if I go with an acrylic automotive paint, can it be sprayed over existing oil based enamel (Gillespie) or do I need to sand blast to bare metal?

Jon

Wolf.Dose

In Germany was the equivalent to RAL 6022 brown olive the standard by that time untill they started with the multy tone camo. So, beeing honnest, it is not really the correct coulor, for every maker made it a little bit different, and any lot was a little bit different. If you carefully look at the attached pic, you will notice that the door is of a slightly differnet coulor tone then the other parts. The coulor is from the same suplier under the same ordering number, just several month differece in order / delivery.

Wolf

Attachments

emr

Just an FYi Arvoe is actually the closet to correct 24087 by just about all the experts, including David Doyle i believe, its easy to use and as for a fact they are all inexpensive paint, arvoe darkens to the closest ol jungle darkening look out there in the paint market, use what U like for sure, but there is a difference here, and as for the woodland camo arvoe calls the latest green being used, in the facility here my M925 is an exact match also parked next to the other current vehicles, and will also say as for the desert tan, arvoe has the match there also, just sayin, side by side ... ":) but use what U think is best but no flat will last as long as a semi or a gloss, and when a hardener is added to a flat it becomes a semi gloss...