• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Current price/availability for a crate 6.2?

iacucv

Anyone have a good idea what a crate 6.2 is going for these days, and where a guy might find one? Thought I just had a rear main seal oil leak. Now I'm also seeing it down the front of the engine. I am also suspecting a head gasket, cooling system is pressurizing enough to push coolant into the overflow tank and keep it there. Lower radiator hose spring is not collapsed. I plan to turbo this rig in the next year or two and I want the motor to be solid before that, it currently has 57k on it. So my dilemma is, do I sink an unknown amount of money (mostly machining costs on heads) into this motor, or am I better off dropping a crate motor in? I appreciate any input, thanks guys.

richingalveston

I do not believe their is such a thing a crate 6.2. No one that I knows remanufactures them or even sells rebuilds. It is not a motor with much demand.

Rebuild yours. Most likely you just need a head job. If you plan to turbo it, You need to do some other things so I would pull it and start the rebuild.

Your choice is to fix your motor, buy an unknown pull out, or get a crate 350 and swap to a gas motor.
OR
You can get a 6.5 turbo in a crate that will bolt in but they are 7k to 10k

If It was me and I had the cash, I would be doing a Leroy or peninsular diesel 6.5. Otherwise I would diagnose the problem on the 6.2 and fix it if it could be fixed.
rich

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Keep an eye out on Govliquation.com.

They had a bunch listed recently. Most were 6.5 but several 6.2's also. Included storage container.

Nothing new. Some rebuilds and most as-is takeouts.

Don't remember prices.

I personally would rebuild. That way you can build for the turbo and know you have a good engine.

Al Harvey

I would agree with the information you've received. If you have the work done yourself, then you know what has been done. Also most places will give you some sort of warranty on their work. If you purchase a surplus motor, it's basically a gamble. You might end up with a bad motor that was pulled out or you could end up with a good one that was just upgraded.

iacucv

Thanks for the info guys. I just figured the gov would have some new crate 6.2s somewhere, eventually making their way to liquidation. I will go ahead and work with what I've got. This m1009 will be staying diesel, no 350 swap for me.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks