• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

custom drop side bed

nickd

I am intersted in modifing the stock bed on my deuce into a drop side bed running the length of the passengers side only. Modifying my stock bed will allow me to continue to carry the additional spare tires mounted in the bed along with the bed mounted accessories I keep onboard. The passenger drop side will allow me to transport more than 1 mule in the bed and a second mule on the 105 trailer. I am thinking I will need to leave the corners of the bed intact for support of the tailgate and front wall of the bed.

Any suggestions?

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I think if I were going to do something like this, I would consider taking a dropside bed and fully welding one side shut, perhaps adding an "L" brace along the bottom of the non-opening side and fully welding it front front to rear.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
..or, if you could find a dropside side, modify that to fit your existing bed. I'm wondering if splitting it in 2 like an M36 bed or if it would work for you, making a shorter dropside and keeping the first 4' a rigid side!

nickd

Thanks Kenny, the drop side split would be more managable as I do most of the loading and unloading alone at the garage and there are always guys at the shows willing to jump in and lend a hand. Working the side racks will be the next challenge. :?:

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sideracks shouldn't be too bad, add an extra pocket and split and add one more seat upright. Might have to bend some sheet metal but not too terrible.

tm america

why not get a dropside bed from a m35a2c both sides drop so you can get at everything easy .make forklift loading easy they are fairly cheap and its probably easier to change the bed than cut the side off make hinges and latches plus having to brace it to handle the load without flexing i have a m35a2c and ive had the bed full over the roof with sand or concrete the side flex but pop right back just a screw at the front and one at the back and they drop