• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Custom ground cam.

rustystud

I was trying to figure out how much more fuel would need to be injected to equal the LDS engine. If the HH cam could be modified for more stroke ? Just thinking out loud. I know a lot of people just adjust it up but that is not the same as having the stroke of the HH pump doing it. Think of a Chevy 350 versus a 383 stroker. You can make the 350 put out the same HP as the 383, but the 383 will always have it easier making the same power.

Section8

Ok I might be completely dumb In saying this but I truly don't know if my thinking is correct.
More horse power doesn't mean going faster. Just means your engine doesn't have to work as hard to accomplish it's ability to move the vehicle.
The ability to go faster is determined by gearing in your tranny and your axles differentials.
This all being said educate me if I am as dumb as I said earlier.
However I am interested in the idea of a custom cam for the multi fuels. I have always wanted one. I am amazed by some of the things I have read guys on this site use for fuels. With the growing costs of fossil fuels an engine like the multi is ahead of its time.
Reminds me of the movie "Back to the Future" when at the end the character "Doc" puts garbage (and a can of beer��) in some sub atomic processor for fuel. Runs on almost anything!
The custom cam would be great if it impossible so as the give the engine more grumption to get up hills, haul loads, and just get the old rigs up to speed better so as not to Piss off the yuppies in their hybrids.
An issue I question is would the block not be to weak. I mean these engines were designed in the mid 1960's?
Metallurgy has come light years since then as stated. Wouldn't Prolong usage of an increase of horse power prove fatal as in engine case cracking or other internals failing.
I would love to use one as a daily use engine in my project. The extra horse power to get up to speed and be able to climb hills easier would be awesome. I don't want crazy horses just a more efficient and stronger multifuel.
I can't believe the multi hasn't been modernized to keep up to the rest of technology.

rustystud

Ok I might be completely dumb In saying this but I truly don't know if my thinking is correct.
More horse power doesn't mean going faster. Just means your engine doesn't have to work as hard to accomplish it's ability to move the vehicle.
The ability to go faster is determined by gearing in your tranny and your axles differentials.
This all being said educate me if I am as dumb as I said earlier.
However I am interested in the idea of a custom cam for the multi fuels. I have always wanted one. I am amazed by some of the things I have read guys on this site use for fuels. With the growing costs of fossil fuels an engine like the multi is ahead of its time.
Reminds me of the movie "Back to the Future" when at the end the character "Doc" puts garbage (and a can of beer��) in some sub atomic processor for fuel. Runs on almost anything!
The custom cam would be great if it impossible so as the give the engine more grumption to get up hills, haul loads, and just get the old rigs up to speed better so as not to Piss off the yuppies in their hybrids.
An issue I question is would the block not be to weak. I mean these engines were designed in the mid 1960's?
Metallurgy has come light years since then as stated. Wouldn't Prolong usage of an increase of horse power prove fatal as in engine case cracking or other internals failing.
I would love to use one as a daily use engine in my project. The extra horse power to get up to speed and be able to climb hills easier would be awesome. I don't want crazy horses just a more efficient and stronger multifuel.
I can't believe the multi hasn't been modernized to keep up to the rest of technology.
Your right in that more HP will not make the truck move at a faster top speed. What it will do is get you there faster ! It will also allow you to use taller tires which will allow you to go faster and still be able to do it quickly.

red

The block is not the weakest link in the multifuel when it comes to making more power. The head bolts and head gaskets is the first mechanical weak link to go. Turning up the fuel to match the maximum efficiency of the turbo (low-mid teens for boost from the C and D turbos) would be a great first step for more power. Above 15psi of boost seems to be where the head gaskets let go, and your now outside the peak efficiency of the stock turbos. From there it's either upgrade to an LDS injection pump (higher fuel flow rate) or the turbo. Head studs, better head gaskets, and a more efficient turbo would be the next step in my opinion. Keeps the EGT's under control and increases the amount of air flowing through the motor. That should put the motor in the 200-230?hp range, little higher with a better cam. If the rpm's and EGT's are kept in check it would be much more efficient without compromising reliability or getting too expensive.

Better ability to maintain speed on the hills that way.

randini

The intake manifold has hot fluid running through it. It seems to me, in an effort to lower EGT's the Stock Intake manifold has got to go! Thoughts?

w3azel

Yes the air coming out of the turbo is hotter then the coolant. Using coolant to cool the incoming air is common for engines built in this era.

rustystud

The problem with machining a new manifold is we first have to take care of the coolant pathways. The manifold acts like a large collector gathering all the pathways into one. If someone could machine a coolant collector that gathers the coolant from the head where the stock mini-manifolds come out to the main-manifold. Then take that coolant to the radiator (with a thermostat along the way) . Then machine a collector that takes the Turbo flow to a "intercooler" in front of the radiator, then back to a tube for the manifold. Really the manifold only needs to be a large tube with runners to the heads. There will be a lot of machining work to do this and I don't know if the benefits will out-weigh the extra costs. Tracey's engines (the guy who races multifuel tractors) made over 350 reliable HP from the stock block easily he told me. With just a new turbo and injection pump and "ARP" head studs and rod bolts and a reground cam. Actually he made up to 500HP by upping the injection pump output but it was not reliable.

A re-ground cam can be done for fairly cheap. Theoretically you can get any specs you want, and make up for the smaller lobe diameter with longer pushrods. I'm curious, can you get different rocker ratios? If so, then it is possible to get different cam specs without ever touching the cam. I'm speaking from experience with gasoline pushrods engines and assuming it would work the same for a diesel. It's late, are multi fuels pushrods engines?

rustystud

A re-ground cam can be done for fairly cheap. Theoretically you can get any specs you want, and make up for the smaller lobe diameter with longer pushrods. I'm curious, can you get different rocker ratios? If so, then it is possible to get different cam specs without ever touching the cam. I'm speaking from experience with gasoline pushrods engines and assuming it would work the same for a diesel. It's late, are multi fuels pushrods engines?
There was some talk awhile ago about different rockers, but it came to nothing. So the only way is to regrind the cam and yes it is a pushrod engine. Now Tracey's engines uses a roller cam but it needs a complete work around on the engine to accomplish this. He just has is own blocks built from solid steel now.

JasonS

I was trying to figure out how much more fuel would need to be injected to equal the LDS engine. If the HH cam could be modified for more stroke ? Just thinking out loud. I know a lot of people just adjust it up but that is not the same as having the stroke of the HH pump doing it. Think of a Chevy 350 versus a 383 stroker. You can make the 350 put out the same HP as the 383, but the 383 will always have it easier making the same power.
Just a guess, but I think it is far more likely that the LDS injection pump cam has a faster rate of rise than the LDT/ LD. Do a google search for this and you will find a lot of information on this topic. The fueling rates for the different pumps can be found in TM 9-2910-226-34.

JasonS

Just a guess, but I think it is far more likely that the LDS injection pump cam has a faster rate of rise than the LDT/ LD. Do a google search for this and you will find a lot of information on this topic. The fueling rates for the different pumps can be found in TM 9-2910-226-34.
I was completely wrong. Every one of the multifuel injection pumps uses the exact same camshaft: SH9036A. However, it does appear that the plunger diameter of the hydraulic head varies. AMBAC lists the diameter for many heads but I can't find any information for the multifuel heads.....

Great article. Unfortunately it doesn't talk about exhaust gas temperature. I am of the opinion that the LDT. was designed with a very low horsepower output as an attempt to limit the max speed (MPH) of the deuce to the max nationally posted speed limit at the time it was manufactured. If we look at the role that the deuce played for the military as a support vehicle not as a combat vehicle, than it makes sense that it would be designed with safety in mind. The easiest way to limit the horse power is at the cam. The cam timing of the LDT is probably very far from what could be considered normal.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks