• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Custom machining of parts for M725 project?

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Depending on what I decide to do with my ambulance once it's done, I might be looking at a radio and antenna installation in my rig. I have discussed this installation before, however, I did not discuss where I am to get a couple pieces of 3/8 inch aluminum, cut to the size I need, and with holes drilled in the places I need them to be.

Does anyone here have the ability to machine or mill an aluminum plate to my specs, for a decent price? The shop in town charges $75 an hour for custom work, not including the cost of the metal. What I need won't be too complex, just two pieces of plate aluminum cut to size and drilled in a couple spots.

Barrman

Check out your local airport. I am referring to small field, not commercial field. Anybody that works on airplanes is going to have scrap aluminum sitting around. Most A&P guys are real nice people and will probably help you out.

acetomatoco

Holy moly, I can do that in my bedroom...just run to the junk yard and get some scrap aluminum deck plate at about a buck a pound and a 3/8 Chinese drill throwaway is 10 bux and a good drill bit for 2 bux... and if you have electricity the job is done.. You can cut the plate to size with a 3 dollar hack saw if needed...and then sell the tools in a yard sale for more than you paid for them...

SterlingDevelop

I have access to a cnc waterjet at work, would be happy to cut whatever at cost.
Depending on what it is, I get charged for machine time.Waterjets go through about 4 lbs of garnet abrasive a minute, fairly expensive.
Some stuff I can sneak on the jet along with another job, if it only takes a few minutes to cut.
It sounds like for this project a jet would be overkill.
Aluminum can be easily and safely cut with a carbide blade in a regular table saw.
Wear eye protection. 8)

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Cool - thanks for the pic Bjorn. I guess I just have to find the right saw blade and I can cut it myself. I decided to use a modified M151 antenna corner bracket, cut in half so that its flat, for the rear antenna mounting bracket, and I just need a flat, unmodified piece of sheet aluminum, 1/4 to 3/8" thick for the radio mounting plate to go in the cab.