• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Custom Plow setup for my CUCV

acesneights1

So I got a Diamond setup(a copy of a Meyers EZ Mount Classic) and I want to put it on the CUCV but finding a truck mount was near impossible. Only one guy in PA had one and he wanted 550$ Plus shipping and it would probably need to be modified anyway due to the hieght of my CUCV so I decided I wanted make something that would work without removing the brushguard. I am going to use the tow/lift mounts comingout of the front bumper. If they are strong enough to lift the whole truck they should be strong enough to partially support the plow frame. Also my winch was setup on my previuos truck to go in place of the upper frame in the summer. So this is a work in progress. Obviuosly I still have to build the side gussets and the lower half but here's how it looks so far....

Attachments

4bogginchevys

I had to build a custom plow setup for my 1008 this year because the guy I bought plow assembly from had it on an old ford and almost everything got bent with misuse/design flaws. I think it was a meyer origanally(pump is). The frame mount was wrong as far as height and width so I tore it all apart and used about 10% origanal parts. Some got redesigned and some got beefed up. I haven't seen anything that looks quite like what me and a buddy came up with but I plowed my dirt/rock driveway for a test and it was real strong and performed well! Let me know if you want any ideas for design, I can supply pictures and measurements if needed......GOOD LUCK!:-D

acesneights1

Thanks, I pretty much know what I'm gonna do to finish it. Basically make the lower similar to the old style western fixed mount but the way I have this set up, you pull the pins and yank the hoop out and stick the winch in. The lights are KC Daylighters. Can be bought from Summit racing. I put them on because the truck had a short somewhere and would lose every light in the truck. No fun in the dark. Never found the problem as ironically since putting the KC's on as backup, they have never cut out again...go figure...

11Echo

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Nice work acesneights1.
The CUCV does present a challenge when you want to keep the original goodies up front.

The SS site guru and master engineer "mangus580" performed this masterpiece on his CUCV. The build should be somewhere on this site.

Between yours and his setup, many others will benefit when they mount one up.

Attachments

Last edited:

acesneights1

Yeah the only reason I didn't do that was I wanted my upper to stay in it's current removable form so I can yank it with 2 pins and then slip my winch in it's place. If it wasn't for the winch I probably would have did what he did. it's good to see someone else used those lift bars and it was strong enough.

acesneights1

Yeah I kinda knew that but...:roll:. It says it right on the spec plate. For lifting pallet or net only. They should still be strong enough for what I am doing. I am trying to design it so most of the stress is on the lower half.. If they break, I'll have to make stronger ones.
More pics...

Attachments

mangus580

Yeah the only reason I didn't do that was I wanted my upper to stay in it's current removable form so I can yank it with 2 pins and then slip my winch in it's place. If it wasn't for the winch I probably would have did what he did. it's good to see someone else used those lift bars and it was strong enough.
My upper frame was removable with 2 pins. Well pump connections aside.

I have since sold that setup, and currently have a Fisher Minute Mount on my 1009. Although the 1009 is most likely to be sold soon...

tourdog

plow frame

keep in mind that there is only two 1/2 inch bolts . holding them tie down tubs on there the other tree hold the brackets on. I dont think I would relie on 2 1/2 inch bolts for my plow.

acesneights1

My upper frame was removable with 2 pins. Well pump connections aside.

I have since sold that setup, and currently have a Fisher Minute Mount on my 1009. Although the 1009 is most likely to be sold soon...
You didn't have any trouble using the tie down bars for your upper did you ?

mangus580

acesneights1: the only issue I had, was the tubing I used was 'taller' than the shackle mounts, leaving a gap at the bottom, allowing movement. I welded a nut to the bottom and put a bolt in to 'take up the slack'.

The shackle mounts never moved. I literally have lifted my 1009 with them when I put the lift kit in the truck.

tourdog: I am pretty sure there are 3 bolts holding each shackle mount on. Also keep in mind, this is just for lifting the blade... you trust a 5/16" chain all day long for that dont you?

acesneights1

Man I love it, that's a great set up and I'm sure others may want to know how you did it . be ready for some E-mails lol . Thanks for the pics .
That's why I'm posting plenty of pics. Magnus, I couldn't find something to go over them exactly either so I used square tube the was a little wider but fit tight top and bottom since that is where It needed IMHO to be snug. There is no slop up and down in mine and the thing can barley move 1/4 side to side plus with the weight on it I doubt it will move much. I agree I think the tie downs are strong enough. Ever see the bolts and how they mount the factory ez mount ? And that takes the whole abuse plow and all. Not to mention a fisher minute mount and just those push plates that hold everything but time will tell. I don't commercially plow anyway, just do my driveway and a few nieghbors. My only concern iot that plow is a behemouth. 8 1/2 foot Diamond(fisher knock off) so it does have some weight to it.

mangus580

I used the tubing in the manner that I did, so I could hang the shackles from the front still :)

The Fisher Minute Mount for these trucks are VERY solidly built. I could take some pics for anyone interested in how they look.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks