• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

custom trailer hitch with rotating snatch block for rear winch bumper

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
any chance we can post VSD file formats?
That's way over my head, you need to ask Mangus580 that one. I am unfamiliar with VSD formats.

rmgill

VSD is visio. I don't expect it to render the file, but we'd be able to post a cad file to the site or to a thread and someone could download it. I know Gerhard and Bjorn and a few others would definitely be able to send and receive these.

I would presume that it's a matter of setting the site to allow posting such a file format as an attachment to the thread.

rmgill

not bad my friend, not bad at all. I dont have an extra deuce tube and hub though...

I cant see or read the drawing very well its so small, how can i download it in full size etc?
Make sure you're downloading the 'linked file' and NOT the image that's the thumbnail above. Try right clicking on the image above and selecting "save target as".

res0wc18

so i was thinking about this some more today. Im going to be hard pressed to find really anything other than a snatch block or winch roller sheave. So im most likely going to have to build it either way.

I have my local marine/ industrial supplier looking though. check this out The DP Winch UV250 Sheave

pretty much what i need/ want. Cost is another thing though as i cant get a price...

On another note, im looking for 12vdc air solenoid valves that can work with my air suspension setup.

What i need is a valve that can pressurize the bags, hold that pressure, then dump the bags. So i would have a momentary two throw swich and when its not being pushed up or down it would hold whatever pressure is in the bags. Does that make sense? I want to be able to do the bags and the air dump bed from in the cab without running the air hoses etc into the cab.

I am also looking for some bigger/ taller airbag assembly's like Firestone ride rites that are self contained, that's what powers the dump bed except the throw is not long enough right now to completely get a full automated dump.

PackRatWrecker

The conflict in your equation is that your sheave will be too close to the drum, to allow the cable to spool properly. It will want to pile up, then tumble, causing cable damage & birdnesting.

Your best bet, as mentioned, is to mount the winch vertical. Chances are, the cable will at least attempt to spool properly, under load.

As for the fairlead...It's there to protect the cable, and help it spool properly. Most extreme angle cable damage isn't caused by the fairlead. It it caused because the operator just keeps piling cable in the corner, until it crushes, tumbles, or overloads the drum, and rides over the drum side, wedging between the drum, and gearcase cover.

If you look at the rear winch on a dozer/crawler, the drum is very narrow, and larger around, so pulling from an angle is not an issue. Also, they have VERY healthy fairleads.

Just some things to consider.

res0wc18

winch is already mounted verical in its mount. Look at the pics on previous pages, but i know i have challenges ahead.

I do need bigger airbags. I found the valves etc i need but i still need bigger airbags. see here.

PackRatWrecker

That might be upright, but it is definitely horizontal. When I suggest vertical, I mean the winch drum standing upright.

Since you are already mounted horizontal, you might be able to build a standoff, out of your receiver tube, and tie back to the offside bull ring, for support. That might get you snatch block far enough from the winch to ease the cable pile-up.