• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Custom trailer idea using a couple of M103A3's

reitenger

I have 1 M103A3, and have a lead on a second one local. I was thinking about getting the second ona and using them both to build a custom tandem axle trailer. I was thinking of using a combo of the two frames or even just building a new frame and combining the two decks for a longer length. Has anyone on here done something like this, or know of a link to someone that has? I am thinking that it would be a heavy, but fairly stable trailer. Probably looking at hauling a small jeep on the deck, and the occaisional home improvement stuff.

Any input?

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
RE: Custom trailer idea using a couple of M103A3

If you like work like this see my build on the convertor and just weld the two frames together shortening where needed to give you the wheelbase you desire. I think if you look at the possibilities of a two axle trailer it would be awesome what you can do. I love the M969 trailer for the great loads it has carried.

winchman

I have 1 M103A3, and have a lead on a second one local. I was thinking about getting the second ona and using them both to build a custom tandem axle trailer. I was thinking of using a combo of the two frames or even just building a new frame and combining the two decks for a longer length. Has anyone on here done something like this, or know of a link to someone that has? I am thinking that it would be a heavy, but fairly stable trailer. Probably looking at hauling a small jeep on the deck, and the occaisional home improvement stuff.

Any input?
hey, I have a similar idea that im thinking about doing. i have one m103a3 trailer and have a lead on a m35 bed. just need another axel and some frame work and i may be in buisness. since this is an old thread, did your idea work out for you?? thanks

nhdiesel

Make sure you use a suspension designed for tandem axles. You could use a Deuce or Bolster trailer style or have the separate springs connected like civy tandem axle trailers use. Either way you need to have the two axles tied together.

If you just use 2 completely separate suspensions that aren't linked, then you better have a way to keep that trailer perfectly level. If you raise or lower the tongue just a couple inches, you load one axle more than the other. This will wear tires unevenly, possibly overload one axle if you ever haul a heavy load, and will cause very poor handling while towing.

If you want tandem axles, look for a bolster trailer and go from there. Either use the suspension or modify the whole trailer for your needs. It will end up cheaper and easier than getting two separate suspensions to work together.

Jim