• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Custom wheels - Problem, questions, help.

montaillou

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So, this is kind of experimental at this point. I currently have adapter plates on MRAP wheels (super singles). Which work fine, but no tire place will touch them. I've been thinking of getting a wheel specifically fit for the deuce. Now, I know there is a shop in the US (somewhere in the east) that does sell such a wheel, but I've been considering another route.

Some of the places I've been looking at have minimum orders and I'm looking at the low minimums, but theoretically, if I found such a place would anyone else be interested in considering a purchase, at cost? I'm not looking for a commitment, and I don't even have a time table, I'm just wondering if anyone else out there has thought about going this route?

I've been thinking about going with a wider wheel (22.5x13 for 445 tires) also, and there's just nothing out there for 6 hole. I don't know if I can mix an order up with different sizes. Again, preliminary. Custom make can also control the offset.

Price? Well, probably in the $300 - $500 range, per wheel (hopefully including freight).

I'm gonna look into this regardless of any replies, I'm not here to make money, this is not a sales pitch. And it's also possible this will go nowhere, I'm not making any promises.

Last edited:

Menaces Nemesis

"Little Black Truck" Conservator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Boyce has custom, one piece deuce wheels for under $400, and will quote you for custom sizes - https://www.boyceequipment.com/custom-wheels
Red Barn will also custom make wheels, incl. 22.5", with the 6-hole 2.5 ton rockwell pattern, although they disclaim right-out that the wheels are "off-road use only" - https://www.redbarncustoms.net/mega-truck-225-diameter-wheel.html
GCR has dismounted old 395/85R20 tires, and mounted new ones on my Boyce wheels for $35 ea. - https://www.gcrtires.com/index

Last edited:

davidb56

Boyce has beaten everyone Ive contacted on shipping costs for products I buy, to my area, which is maybe 400 miles east of Montaillou in west WA.

montaillou

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Boyce has custom
Well, that was informative. So, Boyce doesn't do 22.5, but they referred me to a company in eastern Washington (Kennewick) that will do the larger wheels, plus they're close enough (300 miles) for me to pick up. A 22.5x14 (steel only), for the deuce is $570, painted & 2 weeks to make. Powder coat is $50/wheel. I called a powder coat place near me and they want $90/wheel, so, the $50 looks good.

If anyone wants to call them, it's American Wheel, 509.737.6079, ask for Shaun (Sean?).

I have seen some less expensive custom wheels (which prompted this thread), but shipping might be the killer.

Now, to see if I can find an affordable source for XZL tires...

Menaces Nemesis

"Little Black Truck" Conservator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, that was informative. So, Boyce doesn't do 22.5, but they referred me to a company in eastern Washington (Kennewick) that will do the larger wheels, plus they're close enough (300 miles) for me to pick up. A 22.5x14 (steel only), for the deuce is $570, painted & 2 weeks to make. Powder coat is $50/wheel. I called a powder coat place near me and they want $90/wheel, so, the $50 looks good.

If anyone wants to call them, it's American Wheel, 509.737.6079, ask for Shaun (Sean?).

I have seen some less expensive custom wheels (which prompted this thread), but shipping might be the killer.

Now, to see if I can find an affordable source for XZL tires...
I've had good luck, and what I believe to be fair pricing, buying XZL's from ebay seller "Feltz Tire", located in Marshfield Wisconsin. Probly oughta check here on SS with member simp5782 also.

montaillou

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So, I'm bumping my thread because I found a good source for 445 tires, and thought in case anyone else is thinking of going this route...
So, it seems that Bridgestone now makes the XZL equivalent (L315), best price I could find was $870 + $100/shipping. But looking around I found this, https://www.tirerecappers.com/tires/semi-tires/44565r22-5-mxr-drive-retread-tire/

It's a retread, which, as I've found aren't as bad, now, as they were when I was growing up. These tires are $371 each. Their shipping is a little high, but if I bought a set of these, I'd pick them up in person, while traveling.

Reasons I'm considering this route: I'm planning on using my truck for long trips and if I get a flat, 1000 miles from home, it'd be nice to find a shop that would actually fix the tire. Right now, all the military tires I see tend to be years old and I currently use adapter plates - something I know tire places want to stay away from. I plan on bringing along a spare, but still. I'm not entirely sure an 18" wide tire will work on the deuce, that's something I'm still considering.

emeralcove

Steel Soldiers Supporter
While not custom or super single, the wheels I was able to find are 22.5" six lug steel rims for a bit under $100 each. They are used wheels that the fire service had installed on vehicles with the Rockwell axles. While the look of the 395's are impressive, I have had so many old tires throw the tread and taking a fender, door, etc. out, with it as the loose end flops around. Being able to purchase new tires that are rated for the weight of a M35A2 makes sense to me. 22.5" tires can easily provide the weight capacity of a fully loaded Deuce with only 6 tires, 10 is overkill but it does maintain the more original appearance. I have found brand new 22.5" tires locally for
prices closer to $300 each.

orren

Steel Soldiers Supporter
While not custom or super single, the wheels I was able to find are 22.5" six lug steel rims for a bit under $100 each. They are used wheels that the fire service had installed on vehicles with the Rockwell axles. While the look of the 395's are impressive, I have had so many old tires throw the tread and taking a fender, door, etc. out, with it as the loose end flops around. Being able to purchase new tires that are rated for the weight of a M35A2 makes sense to me. 22.5" tires can easily provide the weight capacity of a fully loaded Deuce with only 6 tires, 10 is overkill but it does maintain the more original appearance. I have found brand new 22.5" tires locally for
prices closer to $300 each.
The tire you show looks interesting. What is the tread width?
How well do you think they will wear compared to the 9:00 x 20 NDC's?

Thanks

emeralcove

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The tire you show looks interesting. What is the tread width?
How well do you think they will wear compared to the 9:00 x 20 NDC's?

Thanks
It is 11.00-22.5 so it is a little wider and a little taller overall but fairly close so overall it is not a big difference but if you single out your truck, you still have more tire capacity than the fully loaded M35A2 is rated for and the ride isn't as stiff as the extra 4 tires sidewalls add.

montaillou

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ok, so, looking at (Goodyear, Michelin) retread tires to save $$, and I've got a potential buyer for my tires with adapter plates & even maybe my (4) spare tires. I need to check out the steering to see what offset I'm gonna be using, but it looks like this project is gonna happen for me. I'm gonna go with 445/65R22.5 tires because I figure if I have to have custom wheels made, I might as well go to a wider tire. I plan on having 7 wheels with tires to account for 1 spare.

Can anyone think of any problems that might arise from this project?

It's pricey, but looking around the super singles that I see for sale are all years (usually 8+) old, adapter plates work fine, but if I'm 1k miles from home a tire shop might not touch my wheels because of the plates and they might refuse to fix the tires because of their age. And if I have to order a new tire, for some reason, it'd be nice if I could source it more easily because a major manufacturer makes it.

emeralcove

Steel Soldiers Supporter
What I like is the fact that a 22.5 tire can be popped off the rim and a new one put on using a few manual tools at the road side with out dealing with a split rim. I watched this done when I blew a tire on a Top-Kick I had with the 22.5 rims. This was a tire that still had tread but was too old, took a fender and the front bumper with it which cost more to fix than the tires. This video for the tools (
) makes even the two piece rims look like too much work, well they do have the bead lock feature but they are a lot of work. If you aren't too far from Vancouver, WA I have the 6 lug wheels if you need to mock up and measure for offset.22.5 on M105.jpg
This on my M105A2 trailer with a "junk" mud and snow tire on it just to roll it around, The Deuce is in the background with the stock 9.00-20 NDT's, at first glance you don't even notice the difference. I do like your idea of super singles, I will be watching to see how that turns out.

montaillou

Steel Soldiers Supporter
After making a ton of calls, I came down to Michelin XZL or Goodyear 278 retreads. I can source these locally which is why I'm looking at them. Several companies make an open shoulder 445 tire retread, but I want at least 28/32 tread depth or better and both the Michelin and Goodyear are 30/32. Casings are pretty scarce at this size, but I'm in no hurry. Anyways, price for Michelin came out to about $550/tire (unmounted) and the Goodyear quote the guy gave me the price mounted on my wheels as $455/tire so I'll be going with Goodyear.

I was able to find the Michelin through a local dealer, but for Goodyear I had to go through their commercial division.

Other companies I looked at Bandag, Continental, Falken, Sumitomo, Yokohama, Hankook, Bridgestone, Firestone. Some didn't offer a 445 retread, and among others had tires mostly in the 20/32 tread area and I wanted something with longevity, but also would perform better off road. It should be noted that some tire company retreads have more tread depth (30/32) than their standard tire model, but finding 445 tires was also a challenge.

Truck is in the shop right now, but when I get it back, I'll decide on the offset for the wheels and pull the trigger on getting those made. Right now I'm running 50-50 MRAP wheels, the rears look fine, I just need to make sure about clearance for the steering.

lokkju

While not custom or super single, the wheels I was able to find are 22.5" six lug steel rims for a bit under $100 each.
Where did you manage to find those? Do they have any left? I'm just south of you in Vancouver, and finally pulling the trigger on replacing my lock ring rims. I'll go the MRAP route if I can't find rims, but being able to run 22.5s would be so much easier in the long run.

tobyS

Steel Soldiers Supporter
What I like is the fact that a 22.5 tire can be popped off the rim and a new one put on using a few manual tools at the road side with out dealing with a split rim. I watched this done when I blew a tire on a Top-Kick I had with the 22.5 rims. This was a tire that still had tread but was too old, took a fender and the front bumper with it which cost more to fix than the tires. This video for the tools (
) makes even the two piece rims look like too much work, well they do have the bead lock feature but they are a lot of work. If you aren't too far from Vancouver, WA I have the 6 lug wheels if you need to mock up and measure for offset.View attachment 793901
This on my M105A2 trailer with a "junk" mud and snow tire on it just to roll it around, The Deuce is in the background with the stock 9.00-20 NDT's, at first glance you don't even notice the difference. I do like your idea of super singles, I will be watching to see how that turns out.

Tomorrow I get (6) 19.5" budd with the 6 lug for my 105 axles from a scrapped Dodge camper. Tire diameter is around 31" cost $25. I'm within an inch of the 8'6" legal limit with the 105 axle. OOps, sorry...this is about 445 on a deuce but in 22.5" (I think). That is about the size of the Sand Trail, which is on 10" wide rims and would seem to fit the A3 rims at 11" wide.

Last edited:

montaillou

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I looked at going back to dualies, but decided to stick with super singles. One thing I came across in research is SS have less rolling resistance than dualies - better fuel mileage. As I'm outfitting this truck for long trips, that plays a role. Was also concerned about how dual tires do off road in deep mud or snow. If I were just running around my state, I probably would go back to a 10 tire set up on 22.5 wheels. While the redundancy of tires is something to think about, I will be carrying a spare and I suppose in an emergency making sure the first and third axles have tires is probably the most important.

Gonna get 13 x 22.5 wheels made, this way I can switch between 425 or 445 tire sets. I'd like to start with a 445 set, and then move to a 425 as they're more common.

orren

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So, this is kind of experimental at this point. I currently have adapter plates on MRAP wheels (super singles). Which work fine, but no tire place will touch them. I've been thinking of getting a wheel specifically fit for the deuce. Now, I know there is a shop in the US (somewhere in the east) that does sell such a wheel, but I've been considering another route.

Some of the places I've been looking at have minimum orders and I'm looking at the low minimums, but theoretically, if I found such a place would anyone else be interested in considering a purchase, at cost? I'm not looking for a commitment, and I don't even have a time table, I'm just wondering if anyone else out there has thought about going this route?

I've been thinking about going with a wider wheel (22.5x13 for 445 tires) also, and there's just nothing out there for 6 hole. I don't know if I can mix an order up with different sizes. Again, preliminary. Custom make can also control the offset.

Price? Well, probably in the $300 - $500 range, per wheel (hopefully including freight).

I'm gonna look into this regardless of any replies, I'm not here to make money, this is not a sales pitch. And it's also possible this will go nowhere, I'm not making any promises.
Good idea!

I, too, am looking for a couple of affordable solid wheels for my 9:00 x 20's to use on the front end of my deuce.
It's getting harder to find shops that will patch the lock ring wheels so we need spares at least for the front
until we find someone when on the road who will change the old style wheel.

Please keep me in mind when you find a good manufacture that's not trying to get rich on a few wheels.

Thanks,
Orren Winjum
Live Oak, FL

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks