• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Cut open coolant filter from the deuce

RangerDave

I just wanted to add to what Antennaclimber said in that from what I can remember from what my NAPA guys said - coolant filter 4070 has no addative (because you add your own), 4071 has one shot of sca, 4072 has 2 shots, 4073 has 3 shots, 4074 has 4 shots (which is what I have and intend to put on and then change out in a month with a 4072)... I think it goes up to 4076....

Seth_O

X2 on the additive, whats the purpose? Also in the poking around I did online today (as a result of this thread, thank you very much.....) I found an article that said you should replace the filter 3 times in the first 9mos of installation, and then ~1/yr after that. Guess this is going on the list of future mods.

Srjeeper

To run SCA filters without testing the coolant first, is no good for your cooling system.

In most cases, running the 4070 filter and changing it regularly/yearly, is all that's needed to keep the system clean.

Introducing too much SCA into your system is not a good idea.

2cents

Loco_Hosa

Fascinating.... I was kinda in the camp of "I didn't know dirty coolant was bad" group of tards...

My old C20 has had obviously rusty coolant since I bought it (I flushed it so many **** times) and I would flush four of five times with water, then add coolant, a month later it was rusty colored again.

Finally last month I lost a water pump and so I did all my hoses at the same time and I finally have properly green coolant! I had never thought of a coolant filter, I may add one to both trucks now!

FL_Frank

Wow, ick. Installed a coolant filter on mine and will have to cut it open to see what surprises exist in it now.

Anyone have any opinion (or know if a requirement) on filters that have the additive (DCA) to prevent cavitation issues that exist on other diesels? Or are our deuces immune from this?

fwiw - Looks like Napa has filters with additive already (have not confirmed the below) -

• P/N 4070 - 0 units of DCA charge
  • P/N 4071 - 4 units of DCA charge
  • P/N 4072 - 6 units of DCA charge
  • P/N 4073 - 8 units of DCA charge
  • P/N 4074 - 12 units of DCA charge
Thanks,
Frank

AceHigh

You are correct on the charge, I usually buy the 4071. There is a lot of disagreement on this issue, most correctly suggest you need to test for pH and too much is way worse than too little.

antennaclimber

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I first used a 4070.
Now installing the 4071 filter. After 2 filter changes, next to no rust and gunk in them now.
Coolant looks to be much cleaner now.
Karl

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
I don't have one on my 5 ton but here is the setup I used on my 94 F250 with 7.3IDI. I added the shut off valves since it did tend to puke when being changed and I run the CAT ELC coolant which is $15 a gallon so I didn't want to waste to much money on spilled coolant. I don't change the filter often mostly because I added a new radiator, hoses, tstat, waterpump and flushed the block drains with distilled water. I also have seen where they keep the normal hose routes and just put a 3 way T on them and plug in the filter so its only a slow bypass and not as restrictive.

Attachments

joshs1ofakindxj

Getting ready to order a filter set up for my truck and when researching the plumbing I see one of the holes people use is the water pump housing hole where I have a heater element installed.

Installation pictures I'm referencing are here:

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/deuce/15027-odiron-coolant-filter-kit.html

Do I have another option for coolant filter plumbing?

By the way, removing the pipe plug from that hole in the water pump housing was a mother! I ended up welding a piece of 1" square tubing to it to wrench on since I couldn't fit any tools in there next to the generator.

DeucesWild11

Can you just mount a filter anywhere in between a coolant line or is there a better or worse spot to put it? Sorry a newbie to adding stuff that's not already there.. replacing something.. that I can do..:p

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks