• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

cutting fuel lines

JCKnife

Tried a search, came up empty.

On the truck I'm parting out, the hard fuel lines (injector lines) are pretty much shot. At the injector end they are not bad but at the hydraulic head most of the rubber boots are either split or off, and the bolts are rusty and so are the lines. When I try to turn them with a line wrench the wrench is slipping. So I'm thinking in order to get a box-end wrench on there I'll just cut the lines--they are trash anyway.

I don't have bolt cutters and hand snips aren't gonna cut through those!

If I use a power tool, such as a cutting wheel on a grinder or just a reciprocating saw, do I risk little metal shavings going inside the lines into the hydraulic head and ruining it?

Just not sure what that end of the line looks like and if this is a potential risk.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You could bend them(at the bottom nut)until they snap, then use a socket to remove the nut. Disconnect the top ends first.

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just get one of the mini tubing cutters from an auto parts store. Should be 3-4 dollars, and you can always use tools!:beer:

JCKnife

I have a wrench that will get them off. Just remind me to bring it with me when we work on it!
They ain't gonna last that long! I need something to do in between office work. [thumbzup]

Those lines are tough. I've been bending one back and forth pretty aggressively and they don't wanna snap. Here comes Mr. Sawzall.

JCKnife

Had to share this pic, I was pretty amazed at how SMALL the opening is in these fuel lines. If I had known that I would have never worried about cutting them. Not much room for debris to move down those!

Attachments

plym49

Had to share this pic, I was pretty amazed at how SMALL the opening is in these fuel lines. If I had known that I would have never worried about cutting them. Not much room for debris to move down those!
Wow - you are not going to cut that with a tubing cutter. Thanks for posting that photo.