• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

CV boot buckling on new shaft install! Just cosmetic or future problem?

Edis06

I ordered and installed new driveshafts from SECO about a month ago and installed. Thought it was easier and more reliable in the long-term than replacing my ripped boot. While there are no performance issues yet, the boots on each side of the diff are buckling. Haven't seen this before. Any thoughts? Is it strictly cosmetic? Should I worry?

Attachments

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I don't know the brand reputation but seems cosmetic.

I believe these form a "perfect seal". When you drive you make heat and maybe a bit of air escaped and now with the unit at ambient pressure there is a small amount of suction???

I would just drive the heck out of it.

Action

I ordered and installed new driveshafts from SECO about a month ago and installed. Thought it was easier and more reliable in the long-term than replacing my ripped boot. While there are no performance issues yet, the boots on each side of the diff are buckling. Haven't seen this before. Any thoughts? Is it strictly cosmetic? Should I worry?
your boot looks to only have 3 “ribs”. I think original have 5? It seems to be stretch fromclamp to clamp making it suck in.

Edis06

your boot looks to only have 3 “ribs”. I think original have 5? It seems to be stretch fromclamp to clamp making it suck in.
I was thinking the same. They fit well but here is some slight movement left to right. The originals were tight. The movement is slight - not measurable, but you can feel it if you test it with your hand.

Action

IDK either. It was just their "10K halfshafts" which came with the boots already attached.
The only non-12k front shafts on SECO site (with the boot shown in your pic) may be the 7k shaft. They are in the parts manual listed for basic and A1 models. There is a different part number for the 10k (A2) shafts, which I dont see on SECO site. I know this doesn't help with the stretched boot question.

Edis06

The only non-12k front shafts on SECO site (with the boot shown in your pic) may be the 7k shaft. They are in the parts manual listed for basic and A1 models. There is a different part number for the 10k (A2) shafts, which I dont see on SECO site. I know this doesn't help with the stretched boot question.
Not sure then because I never order online - only by phone. They said they are aftermarket but they have had zero problems and zero returns. They are 10K for about $450 per set.

If they do fail, then I'll replace them with the AMG units. Hopefully this is just a cosmetic thing and won't affect performance or reliability.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks