• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Cylinder head port and polishing

mudguppy

FireFighterHill, i'm not saying your wrong in your research. i'm just saying that no one bothers to do this. even when the heads are off and at the machince shop for Fire rings or o-rings, you still don't see P&P'd heads unless it's an all-out race motor.

you'd get a lot more bang for you buck by modifying fuel delivery and stuffing more (and cooler) air into the engine. it seems that only after these areas are maxed out do folks go for the P&P.

do it and record your results.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You get to a point on these engines with upgrades to where it's like polishing a turd. Don't get me wrong, I like the multifuel but you can sink alot of money into them trying to get the hp up only to end up with a rod through the block. There are ways to fix the rod issue too but where do you stop?

You'd be better off and save money by just dropping a 5.9 Cummins in.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yeah, ive looked into the 5.9 cummins both the 12 and 24valve. The 12v are alot cheaper. I just think it would be a cool project to do to an multifuel, document everything along the way.
There's nothing wrong with seeing what you can get out of the multifuel. What I was saying in my post above is that it's not really cost effective to try and turn a multifuel into a modern diesel.

Some people do things just to see if they can. I'm all for that if that's what you have in mind. There are reasons there hasn't been alot of research on major mutifuel power mods though. It is much, much cheaper to just swap in another engine. ;-)

I does amaze me how much hp people can get out of orginal engines in competitions where they must use the factory block, such as some classes in tractor pulling. The rules require that they use the block the tractor came out with. You want to find out how to mod the mutifuel go to one of the tractor pulling forums and find somebody running a Oliver that has the same basic engine as our trucks pulling in the super-stock class.

yeager1

Porting and polishing has minimal affect on a turbocharged engine
Porting the head may be a little extreme, but I've read (on this site) that the intake tube casting (turbo to intake) is a really rough casting and smoothing it out gives substantial gains for minimal effort. IF done properly, the lower turbulence/restriction here will give more boost and lower intake temps. If the exhaust manifold was done, you would get lower EGT's and again more boost at lower rpms do to the higher exhaust velocity spooling up the turbo faster at lower rpm's- getting more power/boost at lower rpm's is huge- would be really nice for the 3rd to 4th jump in the tranny. And the cost is a few gaskets and a few hours of die grinding.

Jake0147

I'm not an engineer, so my misgivings should be taken as such... but having looked a bit into the Hypercycle combustion process (which is how the multi fuel engine works) here is a thought- I'm sure there could be some improvement in air flow, but I wouldn't care to gues how much, or how much that amount will affect the overall performance. I would be concerned more with the fact that air flow patterns are very crutial to the basic operation of this engine, much more so than an engine that burns atomized fuel only. I would think that AFTER the ports, which is the combustion chamber, minute changes could end up doing more to reduce efficiency than to increase it...
Food for thought only, nobody will know until and unless somebody tries...

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks