• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

D.O.T Weight scales.

chucky

Steel Soldiers Supporter
When are you planning the trip? Post your trip in the road trip section so folks can be aware of the route you are on in case you have issues.

I'll be somewhere along I20 between Dallas and Jackson quite a bit over the next 10 days if you have issues.
comercial vehicle enforcement works hard on I-20 between dallas and shrevesport the scales at wills point are hardly ever open but those oh boys in the tahoes really enjoy their work ive had em to pull me over in a bus and make me follow them up the interstate a few exits then back the oposite direction to that closed scale house to put me up on ramps to inspect and do a level 1 inspection and i passed it but they didnt want to put a curent inspection sticker on my vehicle ! Im just saying this to SIMP because he comes into there reach in his trailer truck but to the rest of you follow the direction on the sign before the scale its crystal clear what they want COMMERCIAL VEHICLES ENTER SCALE or some states like md says everything over 5ton enter and nevada has something their on 15 but for 99.9 percent of everybody in this site KEEP ON TRUCKING and dont stop you are not in the commission of enterprise ! Now ports of entry are you might just pull thru real nice and easy and they send you on your way

G744

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In AZ, Historic Vehicle plates (25 years or older) automatically creates registration as Class A, Non-Commercial. Regardless of weight.

A copy of the statute is a good thing to keep in the truck, along with you other docs. I've only been stopped once, here in AZ matter of fact. The officer was totally flummoxed by the ruling, took some time to wrap his head around it, but I went on my way unimpeded. Driven in CA, NV, TX without a second glance.

Almost as much fun as a Title II machinegun, observed by a new cop unfamiliar with the private ownership process...

Dennis

msgjd

Steel Soldiers Supporter
not
thanks Phil. According to highway patrol, I don’t need a CDL either. They stated because it’s under 26000lbs. And non commercial👍🏻
Technically and officially, the federal cutoff point is 26001 pounds but state people and websites will often say 26000 .. and yes the others here are correct, if it's not commerce (meaning you are not for hire and not carrying something you're selling) , you do not have to stop .. But during the day I pull through anyway if I'm loaded, or if it's dark and they can't see I'm empty or not .. I have a "private not for hire" placard and do not use commercial or apportioned plates on anything anymore . I get waved through and have not had to argue whether or not they have authority to detain non-commerce trucks . As G744 and maybe some others mentioned , always good to have official documentation in your vehicle(s) to show "confused" LEO's, and give them a copy to keep

Tow4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
As stated above, take a copy of the statute(s) with you. I don't expect the officer to know every law on the books. They all have a computer in their vehicle and they can look up the statute number themselves. In my experience, they say "I didn't know that" and "have a nice day".

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks