• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

D turbo bearing play

MikeON

Hi:
I picked up a used D turbo as a spare. Overall it seems to be in very good condition - it spins very smoothly and there is no evidence of the blades scraping the housing.

My concern is the amount of radial (side to side) play of the shaft. I measure about .015" total play on the exhaust side. A little less on the compressor side, but it's harder to measure. Is this about normal, or should I be replacing the bearings? I realize there will be some self-centering action with the shaft spinning in the lubricated bearings.

Also, from searching posts on this topic, I see everyone was looking for TM 9-2990-201-40&P. Did anyone ever succeed in finding it?

Thanks,
Mike

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Mike, radial, up and down. ^, can't find the other key, Axial, < >, side to side,. There should be no axial, and a bit of up and down. .015 is good for an "up and down" movement,. The bearing in a turbo isn't like a normal bearing. It's just a few pieces of brass and relies on oil pressure to center its self. Get it?

13B40

Mike,
I got a copy of the manual from Portrayal Press.
The fit of the bearing in the housing is .0031 to .0041.
The fit of the shaft in the bearing is .0002 to .0018.
Add these up and you get a total true radial movement of the shaft to the housing of .0033 to .0059.
However, they measure the side to side movement by placing a dial indicator on the turbine end of the shaft and moving the compressor end side to side which is a diagonal movement of the shaft which results in a much larger amount because of a long shaft in a short bearing. I hope my explanation is understandable.
Anyway, the published standard for this measurement is not to exceed .0216 inch.
The axial (end to end) is .003 to .008.
Hope this helps.

Ken

13B40

I should add that the manual does not cover the "D" (Schwitzer 3LM-319) turbo specifically but does cover up to the "C" (Schwitzer 3LJ-319). The fits should be close if not identical between the two.

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
the up arrow is ↑ (alt 24) and down ↓ is (alt 25).......... ascii code which can be used with text editors that recognise ascii. just press the alt key, while holding it enter 24 from num pad and release alt key. also works for ¢ sign etc.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks