• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

DAF in action -- vs Unimog

Robo McDuff

In memorial Ron - 73M819
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Maybe I should have put this in the Unimog thread, but the Unimoggers would have been sad ;).

If you let it run after the finish, it will show a trial ruin of the big brotter "Fat Daf" YA 328

Or just go directly to that video

Robo McDuff

In memorial Ron - 73M819
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Some historic DAF in action video.

Pay attention around the 20 min part how the Personnel Carrier crosses the ditch, and then does it backwards at the same speed.

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'd be interested to see how a Unimog cargo truck (rather than the much heavier radio truck) on tires the size of the ones on the DAF would have done. Or just the taller/wider tires on the radio truck.

The DAFs may not be the most visually appealing vehicles (I like them, but then I like M35A3s too, so...), but the engineering is very good. The mounting of the spare tires on spindles to act as anti-high-center rollers is clever.

Cheers

Last edited:

Robo McDuff

In memorial Ron - 73M819
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'd be interested to see how a Unimog cargo truck (rather than the much heavier radio truck) on tires the size of the ones on the DAF would have done. Or just the taller/wider tires on the radio truck.

The DAFs may not be the most visually appealing vehicles (I like them, but then I like M35A3s too, so...), but the engineering is very good. The mounting of the spare tires on spindles to act as anti-high-center rollers is clever.

Cheers
Don't forget the H set-up of the drive train without a big differential in the rear middle and no axels going toward the middle in front either; that helps getting through deep rutts in mud as well.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks