• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Daf

snowtrac nome

I thought my lmtv was a baby only a mother could love those have mine beat. I have to admit that 6x6 drive system was interesting and seemed to work well so their engineers are thinking out of the box. now that daf is partners with kenworth I suppose you could say you have a kw military vehicle

Robo McDuff

In memorial Ron - 73M819
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The DAFs have two very unique and brilliant enginering things, both shown in this pic.

DAF H-drive train_resize.png

The drive train follows an H pattern. In a central differential in the middle of the car, the drive train splits to left and right. Then two distribution boxed split the power to the front and back wheels. So the power is not split over axles, but over sides. The good thing: you do not have any low-hanging rear differentials, so you have a much better ground clearance.

Ground clearance. Next you see the spare tires on the outside of the car. Those spare wheels are mounted as freewheeling wheels on special bearings.

Translation of terms:
Schematic drawing of the H-drive of an YA 318/326
Red lines: permanent traction
Blue lines: lock and release options for front wheel.

Back of the car.
Balanceer Juk: basically your balance tandem system
Worm kast: case with worm wheel drive. Basically a transfer that can act as reduction but also changes the direction of the drive 90 degrees.
Bladveer: spring blades
Achter as: rear axle

Middle of the car
Reductiebak and centraal differentieel: reduction transfer case and central differential.
Verdeelbak: splitter case to divide the traction between the front and back wheels.
Vrijhangend reservewiel cq steunwiel: free-hanging spare wheel / support wheel

Forward:
versnellingsbak: gearbox
Motor: motor
stuurhuis: steering house
torsiestaaf vering: torsion bar suspension

11112011441c_resize.jpg

Here the YA 126 with the spare tire. You can see that all the 6 bolts are in place. All old DAF MVs have this. If they cross a ditch, the spare tire touches the ground and start acting like a normal non-powered wheel, and lifts the bottom of the truck up so it will not hit the edge of the ditch.

I loved to have a real Kenworth. But to show some national pride ;); actually Kenworth was the first truck company taken over by PACCAR, we are just a next acquisition in that line. I think that DAF is still more or less independent, although parts and engines are often shared.

Last edited:

Robo McDuff

In memorial Ron - 73M819
Steel Soldiers Supporter
There is one famous DAF family in the Nederlands: De Rooy. Jan de Rooy and his brother establsihed De Rooy Transport using DAFs. He already drove DAF cars in rally's, but switched to trucks in the Paris Dakar rally. Most famous was his double cabin version

Not that it could drive both ways, it was just the easiest way to install two engines. Jan De Rooy passed on both the company and the Dakar Team De Rooy to his son Gerard. Since the death of one of the DAF drivers during DAKAR, DAF withdrew, but team De Rooy carried on with Ginaf and later Iveco trucks. They had very good successes including several first places.

Karl kostman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
When ever somebody posts that DAF video I HAVE TO WATCH IT again! I did not realize that DAF produced so many different trucks and knew nothing about the APC. The trucks look fairly conventional except that drive system I have never seen one such as that, not sure if its a good idea or not although it does get rid of the differential in the middle of the axle housing so might increase clearance. Pretty darn neat trucks, would be fun to learn another truck!

Robo McDuff

In memorial Ron - 73M819
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Translation - Two-Headed Monster

DAF means "van Doorne Automobiel Fabriek".

Van Doorrne was a genius in designing cars and trailers. He also designed the Variomatic, a fully automatic step-less transmission. As effect of this, the DAF could drive backwards as quick as forwards ... in 1958.

TehTDK

Robo, I meant the words on the picture you posted of the drivelive :). And can that driveline actually lock its various wheels together?

Robo McDuff

In memorial Ron - 73M819
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Some more details of the supporting wheel/spare. The first one shows how the wheel is nicely positioned to help raise the truck of the edges. The second shows details of the "hub" after the wheel has been removed. You can see that it is actually connected as a none-powered wheel.

DSC_0004c2_resize.JPG

2020 02 Herkenbosch _16_resize.JPG

Robo McDuff

In memorial Ron - 73M819
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I tried but lost out on an auction with two DAF YA126s, both 1957

DAF groen.jpg
For this green one, my bid of 560 EUR (630 $) was forever the highest bit. Then the auction day came, and I lost out very quickly. Sad but glad about that, my spouse would have killed me if I would have bought it, and I actually did not have the money.

This auction has a very nice way of doing this. Lots close at a certain time, but after every bidding, you get 3 minutes to overbid. So the sale closed at four PM, but at 15:59, some made a bid, and 250 seconds later, another, and another, etc unil at 16:40, the bidding closed at 2,300 $.

To bad I did not have the money and my non-profit needs it more than my hobby, its not a bad price.

daf wit.jpg

This one went, also after closing time, for 2,150$.

The interesting thing is that the green DAF has as total allowable weight 4,450 kg on the registration papers, 3,450 kg own weight, and 1,000 kg loading capacity. That means you have to have a C license to drive it

The white one has 3,350 kg own empty weight and only 149 kg loading capacity on paper. So if you do not weight more than 149 kg, you can drive this version with only your B license.

The green one is normal army color, the white DAF is a former UN "blue helmets" MV which has been in combat zone's (probably Balkan).

In the European Union:
- B license is personal cars with a max train weight of 3,500 kg (with trailer up to an additional 750 kg total train weight) or small buses with up to 9 people, including the driver (8 passengers and one driver).

- C license is for cargo vehicles over 3,500 kg. This is NOT a CDL. With C, you can drive your heavy MV, RV or anything over 3,500 kg (with trailer 7,00 kg) as long as you do not do it as a professional cargo transporter. So a blacksmith with C license can transport his 10K kg work and install it without CDL, this is not considered cargo transport. However, if he hires a company to transport the same thing, the driver of the company has to have a CDL; they are commercially transporting cargo for third parties.

- D license is for people transport of 10 people and more, driver included.

- E license is for a trailer over 750 kg. In the old days, you got the E automatically, now you have to do a test for it as well.

Personally, I have a CDL for both C and D. Thanks to the EU harmonization rules, this is now mentioned on your normal driver's license as well through the addition of "code 95" after each category, and valid in all countries inside the EU.

Robo McDuff

In memorial Ron - 73M819
Steel Soldiers Supporter
These auctions are really really very bad for my nerves.

There was another one for sale

DAF wapendrager cabineClip.jpg

I was the highest bidder for a week with 290 €, then until 15 minutes before the end with 460 €. I was overbid, I put a new bid but that was immediately also raised, so somebody clearly had auto-bid on. Then, few minutes before the end, I raised to 520 € and again was the highest bidder. Then, 30 seconds before auction end, I was outbid again. Then the 3 minute rule jumps in (after every bid, you have 3 minutes to react until only one bid stands past the 3 minutes limit).

Nerves and waiting, but 2:52 later a next bid. I raised one more time, but then my nerves and non-existing funds ran out completely. It closed at 655 € excluding fees and VAT, so around 800 €. Add then another xxx EUR for transport,

😢 😭 😭

Still again, if I would have had free money, I would have continued, but the other bidder probably also. Around 1,000 € would be a good price, but that would be waaayyyy over my limit even if I had money available. You can get a good running DAF 126 now for around 3,500 - 5,000 €, but the perfectly restored ones go for 8,000 € and up. In the last five years, prices for these jeeps have doubled.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks