• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Daily Driver HMMWV Beadlocks Use on M1008

86M10086.2L

It seems as though I may have finally found a set of HMMWV beadlocks and tires that are close enough to me that I can afford to by them. But before I do I just wanted to ask a few questons from people that have real life driving expierence wth them on their M1008's. The set I'm looking at is complete with the runflats still in them. They are the older 8 bolt/bias ply setup. I understand that they can be quite difficult or nearly impossible to properly balance. Do the really ride that bad? I've heard that most of the balancing problems comes from the runflat. Is that true? If they are removed the wheels can still be used without them, you just lose the beadlock feature correct? How is the tread wear on the military tires? Do they last long or wear quick? Does the fuel ecomony change with the added weight of the wheels/tires. I would hope that the taller tire and reduced rpm's they would create would increase mpg's but they're pretty heavy so I wonder if they negate themselves or actually hinder fuel economy. I have a light foot, and usually only do 50 mph max so I enjoy the @17 mpg I get with the truck. I'll go another route if it's gonna kill my fuel economy. I'd love to put a set of these on my truck with a lift kit. I think they look real tough. I know I will need wheel spacers or do the drw hub conversion. I'm looking for a cheaper alternative to be able to do 60 mph on the highway without slowly killing my truck and added offroad capability. Any input, ideas would be greatly appreciated.

CCATLETT1984

glad you asked :D look at my signature

ditch the military beadlock inserts as they are a huge part of the balancing issue. are you getting the 8bolt rims or the 12bolt (number of bolts holding the rims halves together)?

AJMBLAZER

I had the 36x12.5-16.5 Wrangler RT/II's...they weren't bad on the road...when they were warm. They flat spotted bad and took tons of weight to balance. I don't miss them at all.

ford381stroker

I have used both. The 36's do flat spot if they sit for longer than a day. When I was driving my truck daily I did not notice at all. I did purchase one brand new set of 36's and i could go 3-4 days before they would flat spot. I currently have about 60 of the 37" radials at my shop on 12 bolt rims. From my experience with them they do not flat spot as easily.

Both the 36's and 37's can be mounted on regular 16.5 rims easily and balanced. (given that the H1 they were on didn't have alignment issues)