• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Daisy chain towing deuces

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Has anyone ever flat towed more than one deuce using two tow bars.
The vehicles I have in mind are parts trucks without engines or trannys so weight is decreased a lot.
I can't cut them up where they sit.
My big concern would be no brakes on the towed vehicles because of the engines being removed and open air lines. I would have ballast in the bed of the towing vehicle to help with braking.
The distance would be about 120 miles on two and four lane backroads (no interstate).
Any thoughts?

jeli

I've seen it done twice. Two deuces behind a 5 ton and another time behind a recovery Hemmitt. Both times it was tow bar to tow bar. I wouldn't go over 40...if you can even manage that!!!!

I doubt it's legal as a civilian. I've never seen a tactical vehicle pulled over though. If the trucks look like they may still be in the system you could always wear your ACU's and give it a try. Have a vehicle run behind you.

Where are you starting? I don't know if I'd want to try the I-20 circus between Birmingham and Atlanta.

dmetalmiki

My 5ton blew an oil seal..got to a show pulling my M35a2.! (had to) so pulled the 5ton m54a2 back home with My m35a2 (air lines connected and light jumper leads) pulled like a train! no difference power wise 35/40 up hill down dale!..jusat carefull on corners as deuce is on singles and would have prefered goin str8 on at corners! if <pushed> by the 5ton..trick is/was slow into curve accelerate gently on and out! I feel sure its the same in U.S. pulling TWO? trucks..HERE in U.K. A NO NO! illegal. unless taxed as a "showmans tractor" (pulls rides on one trailer and (usually huge) living at rear of that!. when worked 4 U.S.millitary NEVER pulled two trucks on highway tho DID pull TWO trailers.

Djfreema

In Memorial
In Memorial
I wouldnt do it but would love to see pictures. I get puckered up flat towing one duece having to go over 45 degree railroad crossings at 45mph. I have had several experience of the towed truck pushing the back of my truck straight on turns, luckily they were slow turns but still scary. Its better to be safe than sorry.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The little tractor that could was taxed. I only took it up to 40 MPH for obvious reasons but I'm pretty sure I could have went a little faster. The trailer brakes made it possible. Besides the heavy trailer and all its junk, there were 3 10KW gensets on the nose. I fugure it was around 39,000#. I'd do it for a few hundred miles but 1000 miles would be out. The pintle on the back of the semi is not very big so I doubt that I would put anything bigger than a CUCV or the like on the back. It does work real well for the M105s.

Attachments

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That looks scary. I wouldn't recommend that. Not to mention, with a full sized trailer and a towed deuce back there, if something were to go wrong in transit, it would be hard to see what's going on back there. Is that even legal?

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Legal? All except the brakes on the deuce but that may slide through a loophole because its not a trailer. Ever go 70 in a 55 zone? Thats not legal either. A prudent responsible person wouln't do that but as a point of illustration, I do the unoorthodox from time to time. Fact is the thing drove very well. Like Mike says, folks, don't do this at home, these are trained professionals.

rizzo

people pull double trailers all the time. It is legal for a civilian to do it without any type of licence or endorsement.

Hey Mr Fancy Pants injection pump M108, I'm gonna start saving and send you a couple gallons of paint. :roll: poke fun

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Send me parts to repack the lift and crowd cylinders. If I could get rid of the massive oil leaks, I'd repaint. I've got paint but the replacement cab is elsewhere and the hydraulic oil leak is stupendous.

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
No Pictures on this because it happened while I was a Platoon Leader in a Medium Truck Company ( pre digital) We had a M 915 go down for the motor so it was in tow with another M 915 with a holmes fifth wheel tow adapter ( Wrecker) the bob tail took that trucks trailer and we had a second holmes towing another deadlined truck. At the RON an NCO in a hurry to get to the showers backed into the holmes radiator and deadlined it. We were pretty far from home so they all looked to me I told them hook the holmes truck with bad radiator to the to the back of the first holmes and then hook the other deadlined to the holmes being towed and the last one to a towbar to the other deadlined tractor with a towbar. The Soldiers balked at it but I told them lets try it for S&G. We pulled out on the interstate in Tennesee with all the RAWL's going and on the radio I kept in touch with the driver of the lead holmes. He told me it got squrirly above 45 so I told him don't go over 45 then. We made it all the way home slow going and swaying slightly with all the CB's from commercial truckers debating if it was legal.

Bottom line on two towbars is there will be a lot of swaying and it may get out of control above a relativly slow speed be prepared for a long slow trip. Wear your ACU's and have your ID card with you if you have to explain it to a Cop tell them it is a combat recovery test issue.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks