• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Daisy chain towing deuces

rizzo

Recovry4x4 said:
Send me parts to repack the lift and crowd cylinders. If I could get rid of the massive oil leaks, I'd repaint. I've got paint but the replacement cab is elsewhere and the hydraulic oil leak is stupendous.

I sent the parts today. the fed ex tracking number is 3512686664561

I've included a catalog pic

Attachments

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That is the wire for the towing lights Art. The wrecker was sans brakes. Luckily the trailer brakes work real well and that little test trip was only about 10 miles at the most.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
So if you were to tow an m62 with an m35 and hooked up the glad hands to eachother, it should work the brakes on the pulled truck? Would it lite up the brake lights too?

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It will work the brakes if the M62 has brakes. It will not operate the brake lights unless the truck has been upgraded to the air operated brake light switch and I'm speculating on that. It's quite a chore to get 33,000# moving with a deuce and even harder to stop it without the brake assist.

M1075

I need to move some vehicles around and I dug up this message from a few months ago. I have experience using a towbar for towing with several different types of vehicles. I know the standard rule is tow something the same size or smaller. When vehicles approach the same size/weight, there are increased challenges.

Here is my dilema. I have pulled a M35A2 with a M911 and it pulled like it wasn't even there (obviously). Is it feasible to try towing 2 5tons behind a M911? It sounds like ArmyMan30years has pulled 3 M915s behind another M915 at 45mph.

I know the M911 is going to pull it just fine, and all air brakes would be hooked up. Max speed on the M911 is 45 MPH anyway, so that shouldn't be an issue. My two concerns are 1) are medium towbars with MWO suitable on higway application for 50,000-60,000# and 2) is there some kind of uncontrollable swaying to be expected from the rear vehicle?

Attachments

rizzo

the problem would be that the first towbar and the conection points would have to account for the weight of both 5 tons. I think if you took it easy and used safety chains you would be fine.

M1075

I know the medium tow bar is rated for 40,000#, but that would include offroad usage. I do have one of the heavy tank towbars, but no adapters for the 1" pins used on the 5 ton. I'm still kicking myself for not buying those on ebay a while back. They went for $65/pr. aua

I guess that narrows down the main concern to potential swaying of the last vehicle. I'm not sure what concerns me because it can't be much different than doubles or triples used in LTL trucking.

Also, the legaility of such a mission is questionable.

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
James, I experienced the swaying when pulling two M332 ammo trailers simultaneously. 50mph...almost lost control of the rear-most trailer...under 50mph...no problems. I was told (and experienced it firsthand) that the sway of the frontmost trailer is exacerbated in the rearmost trailer. Be careful. I won't do it again unless I absolutely have to and it is local. I towed the trailers from Richmond, VA to MD...no fun...especially when I hit some seams in an overpass while going around a curve. The rearmost trailer was up on one wheel and then the other...and I was only doing about 40 mph at the time. If I had had time to think about it, I am sure I would have had to change my shorts.

dmetalmiki

The forces on the front towbar shackles(lifting eyes)as allready pointed out are horendous! we used the brittish hollybone tank bar (the one mounted on my m54a2 fender in deks pics). succinctly. when cornering the deuce(and similar) kick out the rears as springs slide accross the end shackles. (and) the front wheels can be often seen to slew/skid/drag when towing solo! (often NOT "coming back" on tight turns.) (or in the wet!)hence I ALLWAYS travell with a co-pilot!..now (just) picture turning with tandem trucks...the back of the first truck CANNOT kick out! and the forces at the pins on the first truck..?? well theres TWO scenarios (to cause concern) at ANY speed..in addition to the other member comments. (re the trailer.....and shorts) we (the unit NOT ME!)lost a trailer AND vehicle in cyprus on a mountain curve...the crew were using two tank bars...ALL THREE went down the ravine. and IN UK> ABSALUTLY ILLEGAL> (yeah I KNOW! ((but the ausies USE DOLLIES!)))..I do transport three at a time....(m54 M45 +jeep +m/c.) on a 40foot recovery trailer. M62 pulling.........1500 rp,s or 30 M.P.H. MAX!. TAKE care..wishing you ALL good and SAFE jouirneys.

dmetalmiki

as a p.s. and as a thought...I often tow the deuce or firetruck to shows..with the m54 or M62 ..the M35 chassis are BOTH fitted with emergeancy AND service line now. a well worthwile mod..and the lights and turn signals have mill hookups at front on both and on reflection..(and some inconsiderate/usual!) car drivers ..IM GLAD I had the conversions!

dmetalmiki

THATS HOW we used the britt tank bar! dolly OR 5th wheel ..= SANE loading. ONE towed unit. (tho with air and electric hookups)..not sure of the law requirement over there tho...(I suspect.....its the same..as here..)ya sposed to UNHOOK the fith wheel and recover the trailer sepratly) let allone the LUMP! on the back!..nice outfit by the way..

ida34

rizzo said:
people pull double trailers all the time. It is legal for a civilian to do it without any type of licence or endorsement.

Hey Mr Fancy Pants injection pump M108, I'm gonna start saving and send you a couple gallons of paint. :roll: poke fun
I hate to drag up an old post but wanted to correct some info. Dual trailer towing is not legal in all states. In Michigan it is but in TN it is not. In Michigan a special endorsment is required for towing a dual in a non-cdl situation. The endorsement is called a recreational dual and it must be a fifth wheel trailer with a regular bumper trailer behind it. Mostly this is a fifth wheel camping trailer with an ATV or boat trailer behind it.

Rizzo,
If you need me to did up more info I can but I figured you probably already had a CDL that covers a dual.

M1075

I have decided to hold off on towing two vehicles. Not because I don't think it will work, but because that would be one big and loooooonng rig which may attract a little too much attention. After all, the truck itself isn't legal on the US highway system (overwidth).

rizzo

ida34 said:
rizzo said:
people pull double trailers all the time. It is legal for a civilian to do it without any type of licence or endorsement.

Hey Mr Fancy Pants injection pump M108, I'm gonna start saving and send you a couple gallons of paint. :roll: poke fun
I hate to drag up an old post but wanted to correct some info. Dual trailer towing is not legal in all states. In Michigan it is but in TN it is not. In Michigan a special endorsment is required for towing a dual in a non-cdl situation. The endorsement is called a recreational dual and it must be a fifth wheel trailer with a regular bumper trailer behind it. Mostly this is a fifth wheel camping trailer with an ATV or boat trailer behind it.

Rizzo,
If you need me to did up more info I can but I figured you probably already had a CDL that covers a dual.
thanks for the correction, I think I just read that a few weeks ago (after I made the post of course).

here is some MI info on the plates

http://www.michigan.gov/documents/msp/CMV_Quarterly_October_2006_186798_7.pdf

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks