• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Damaged sponson

TOM R

So when I was buying slant parts only driver sponson I could afford has a damaged pillar tube

Looks like someone removed it before maybe to try a fix either way I re removed it, looking for suggestions, the door jamb is also missing but I'll fab that

Tube appears to be bent open and the foot is also bent
Suggestions please20210227_163050.jpg

Action

No tip on fixing, but I cut the three or so tack welds holding the tubes in my sponsons. that allowed me to remove the sponsons in the sumer and leave the tubes and roof on. In fall, I just loosened the tube bolts and slid the sponsons back on and tightened it all back down.

springer1981

I've never fixed one or even seen one before. I'm assuming, based on the picture, it is bent up and should be more like a 90 bend. I've built many single use tools to fix stuff. I'd build a way to mount it then using schedule pipe that fit inside and outside I'd get some leverage. Using a come-along to apply pressure with the leverage and a dead blow I'd try to message it back into shape. I know that's kind of abstract but it will take some ingenuity and trail and error until you get it. Remember, it's only a piece of metal, it can't win, you are smarter than it is.

TOM R

Yeah I figure probably need to mount to a steel plate and heat the verticle part with a rosebud and try to bend it back in shape
The foot ehh...

springer1981

Yeah I figure probably need to mount to a steel plate and heat the verticle part with a rosebud and try to bend it back in shape
The foot ehh...
Careful heating aluminum, it will quickly melt away. I would only use heat sparingly.

TOM R

As noted above, I have never seen one or touched one. Since everything else is aluminum I assumed it too was aluminum. Steel is much easier to fix.
Sorry yes the sponsons and hatch are steel

I've been hoping to find a damaged or destroyed left sponson with a good tube and door jamb

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Come visit me in Rockaway New York. I have a set of unmounted sponsons you can measure and evaluate.

(For evaluation, not sale)

TOM R

I have up on this ,ended up getting a good used missing the rear cone and I took the cone from this one

Maybe someone else can fix this tube or use the sheet steel part which is nice no rust or dents make an offer

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks