• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Dana 60 front w/ crossover steering?

1StumpJumper

If you decide to re-gear the front, have Rich at Driveline Service hook you up. If you need, I have a 4.10 14 bolt ff out of a Burb. PM me if you want to connect, I live in Hellingbam too.

Last edited:

olly hondro

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I rather like the 4.56 in the Blazer. I hated the 36" bias plys until I took the truck on a technical 4 of 5 trail. Those bias ply sidewalls are pretty tough.

welpro222

I got the 4.10 dana 60 and 14 bolt this weekend. Now I just need to swap in my dana power lok in the front and the back already has the gov-lock. Luckly the 14 bolt had the spring perches moved to fit a 1/2-3/4 ton, and it has the huge 1 ton brake drums. I think i'm gonna do some new slave cylinders and seals on the rear and inspect the wheel bearings and repack them on the front.

welpro222

I got the 4.10 dana 60 and 14 bolt this weekend. Now I just need to swap in my dana power lok in the front and the back already has the gov-lock. Luckly the 14 bolt had the spring perches moved to fit a 1/2-3/4 ton, and it has the huge 1 ton brake drums. I think i'm gonna do some new slave cylinders and seals on the rear and inspect the wheel bearings and repack them on the front.

I don't think i'm going to use the crossover steering system, as I don't do any rock crawling or extreme off roading.

welpro222

Standard vs crossover steering?

What do you guys think? I have a 4inch lift possibly running 37 inch humvee tires in the future. I do not do any extreme offroading. What does crossover steering have to offer over the standard steering setup.

I have a crossover steering setup that came on a dana 60 axle, but I am debating whether I should use it or not?

Skinny

I run that setup and I consider the stock push/pull steering marginal at best even for street usage. Probably some of the best money you will spend on your truck.

tim292stro

Less bump/roll-steer than stock, with a lift less stress on the steering gear - I recommend a steering damper on the cross tie-rod no matter what with tires that big, AND make sure your kingpin bearings and rod ends are in good shape or you will likely get the "death wobble" when you hit your first bump...

Last edited:

welpro222

I installed the front carrier with the same shims it had on it when it was installed in the rear axle and got 14 thousandth of an inch play in the gears. Close enough for me on the front. The rear end I got to 5 thousandth which is perfect.

welpro222

Didn't bother checking the front, the rear was hard to tell with it being used gears. But after checking the rear a few times it was right on. I just made sure to measure the old pinion housing shim and install new shim that were the same thickness. I didn't check the front because I was not removing the pinion, just changing carriers with the same gear set.

Chaski

Just wanted to toss this out there. My buddies M1008 has a 4" lift and ORD's crossover and high steer kit. It turns out that the pitman they sell for 4" or more of lift has quite a bit of drop in it and is slightly longer center to center. This caused an issue on his pickup as the front axle is moved 1" forward putting the high steer crosslink where it made contact with the pitman when the drivers side wheel was stuffed. If you are going crossover without high steer this won't be an issue. IMHO if you go ORD crossover with 5" or less lift go for the pitman with less offset.

Make or buy a brace for your frame, consider hydraulic assist. Also just because you have crossover does not mean you are indescribable. The M1008 has already bent one shaft in the steering box. It is now my mission to acquire every cheap 73-87 2wd box I can find.

welpro222

Got the crossover steering in last night. I notice that the linkage would end up hitting the engine crossmember. So I ended up cutting the lower lip off to clear it. I also installed a 2wd gear box and the ORD steering brace.

welpro222

Did you use a drop pitman arm?
Yes

The crossover steering setup came off of a dana 60 that was mounted on a 12 inch lifted truck. There was a few inches of clearance, but if I hit that hard enough it would have caused damage.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks