• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Dana 60 seal question

bushhawg73

After searching with no luck I have what I beleive is a pretty simple question.

I have a 1984 Chevy K30 CUCV with a Dana 60 front end. It is leaking around the axle tube ends. I am not loosing a bunch of fluid but I currently have the hubs and spindals off the truck to repack the wheel bearings. Since it is torn down I have considered trying to fix the monor leak.

What I need to know is: Where are the inner axle seals, are they removed and installed from the inner (carrier) side or from the outside (axle tube end). If removed from the inside does the carrier have to be removed to change the seals and is there any special tool that will help with this. I have a run of the mill bearing/seal driving unit with a striking handle and different size disks.

Any and all help is really appreciated.

ODdave

The carrier has to come out, they are presed from the inside outward. the 60 is big enough where you should have room to swing a hammer, if not a long pipe going through the axle tube with your seal driver will work. As far as tools, a housing spreader makes it a real easy job. Just remember to put EVERYTHING back the EXACT same way it came out !!

Last edited:

rnd-motorsports

:ditto: Not a real bad job also when you remove the seals make sure you get the hole seal out allot of times the outer part of the seal will stay in the axle housing and the new seal will not go in get allot of calls thinking they are getting the wrong seal. check this site for a pic of the seal not all replacement seals will have the funnel like part but it still needs to come out to replace the seal [thumbzup]
Dana 60 Front Inner Axle Seal [36487] - $8.99 : Mad 4 Wheel Drive

rnd-motorsports

Forgot to add if you cant get the seals in and need a spreader and cant find one get some 1/2'' threaded all rod with some large washers and nuts you can make one for a one time use! [thumbzup]

bushhawg73

One other question just to confirm my thoughts: I should have a total of 4 axle tube seals, 1 in each end of the tubes (near the brake rotor)and 2 inside the housing near the carrier.

Thanks for your help so far

rnd-motorsports

there is one seal on each side on the inside of the center section that will need replaced to stop the gear lude from leaking! spicier /Dana part # 36487. there are two ,one each side wheel seals inside of the rotors nothing to do with rear end lube just wheel bearing grease Dana/ spicier part# 48816 there are two,one each side on the inside rear of the front spindles about the size of a 50 cent piece sometimes called the inner spindle seal again nothing to do with gear lube Dana/spicier#620062 see the diagram at bottom of page here at Pirate4x4.Com - Extreme Four Wheel Drive
look for parts 31- inner axle seals
part 57- inner hub seals
and part 63 wheel seals hope this helps and is not confusing! any more? pm me [thumbzup]

Last edited:

rnd-motorsports

I included the inner spindle seal because most guys forget about that seal and bearing before you put it back together check the bearing and put some grease on the end of your finger and pack into bearing and spin if it's not free replace it if seal is bad or dry replace it the short outer shaft rides on that support bearing [thumbzup] there are A total of 13 seals if your counting on a Dana 60 front axle off the top of my head more than any other pickup axle

lavarok

Not a real bad job also when you remove the seals make sure you get the hole seal out allot of times the outer part of the seal will stay in the axle housing and the new seal will not go in get allot of calls thinking they are getting the wrong seal. check this site for a pic of the seal not all replacement seals will have the funnel like part but it still needs to come out to replace the seal

Good info in this thread! I've done this job on a M1008. It gets expensive replacing all the seals and bearings, but the piece of mind is priceless.

jets1959

I included the inner spindle seal because most guys forget about that seal and bearing before you put it back together check the bearing and put some grease on the end of your finger and pack into bearing and spin if it's not free replace it if seal is bad or dry replace it the short outer shaft rides on that support bearing [thumbzup] there are A total of 13 seals if your counting on a Dana 60 front axle off the top of my head more than any other pickup axle
What size sockets are use to remove and replace the wheel bearing nuts. I like to have all the tools and parts on hand before disassybling anything. Thanks:beer:

rnd-motorsports

I have a powerbuilt spindle nut set and the socket you need is part number 648477. You can search the part number to see the socket it is 2 1/2 " 4 lug . OTC also has one part number I think is OTC 7158 but not totally sure on that number.

bushhawg73

I just took my carrier out and put it back in, inner axle seals were bad and needed to be replaced. I used a prybar and blocks of wood to remove, the rag trick did not work for me. The install was a major pain in the butt. You kind of have to get one side in just a bit and then get the other side in. If you place the bearing cap bolts without the caps back in their holes they will act as a guide. Once the carrier is in about half way the bearing caps can be replaced and used to pull thge carrier back in. I would guess the carrier with the ring gear are around 40 pounds or so.