• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Dang Mice! Enough is enough!

3rdmdqm

Ok, now it's war! Critters have gone too far. I checked my air filter yesterday and found all kinds of seat fabric and insulation in it. Little buggers have been going into my seats in the cab through the small round air holes in the wood under the seat and taking out the insulation. Then they have been carrying it into my air filter housing making a nest. They were entering through the small tube used for the fording connection on the lower back side which was not capped. Surprised the truck even ran it was quite a nest which must have gotten sucked into the air filter pleats when driving cause it was solid packed. Had to replace the air filter.

But I have a plan! I have fortified the seats with wire mesh which I stapled over all of the holes and put a metal plug in the fording tube opening. I can't believe they got into a hole that small. Next stop is some place to pick up some of that peppermint oil everyone has been talking about and some shotgun shells for my piece!

Two things ya don't mess with, a mans dog and his truck! :evil:

Last edited:

Oilleaker1

Go to the store and buy regular , original green Irish Spring bar soap. Mice detest it worse than mothballs. Do not put it on the seats or cloth without a plastic bag under it or it will stain. I've seen cars in barns full of mice with a dirt floor stay mice free. You have to change it out after it stops smelling or cut the outer surface off the soap bar so it smells again. John

bratpackdad

"Shake-Away Rodent Powder uses the scent of the fox and bobcat to take advantage of the mouse's inborn, instinctive fear of its worst enemies, driving the pest from your property."

Hmm...but then he would have a fox and bobcat infestation. I still say bat or maybe a hammer:hammer:

Srjeeper

That'll do it....

I've always used moth balls until this past winter after reading about Peppermint Oil on the threads here.

I'll tell you what, that stuff works great.

I put some plastic dishes with cotton balls in them that I put the oil on in the cab and had no mice anywhere inside. The stuff smells so good I use it in my Jeep and pick up as an airfreshner. I also closed up all the holes in the floor, firewall, shifter tunnel, and transfer case lever opening too.

Of course now they've moved into my tractors and other equipment, but they aren't in my truck.

2cents

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The Green Mile Please dont forget the Green Mile .. :) Now where is that wooden Thread spool?
I believe his name was Mr. Jangles. :wink:

I had bad mice problems a few years ago. I tried everything to get rid of them and could knock them down for awhile but then they would come back in force. I'm not a big fan of cats but my neighbor had a cat that had kittens and he was trying to give a few away. To help him out I told him I'd take a couple just so he could get rid of them. Ever since I got the cats I've had zero mice, moles, or any other small critters. The only down side is I have to feed them a little. I don't feed them too much though. I want to keep them a little hungry so they will hunt.

3rdmdqm

The critters around here have a mutated conscious intelligence. probably escapees from a military lab experiment. I had two rats that invaded my garage. Ate through solid plastic trash cans to get to the contents, ate through the rubber door sweep on the bottom of the door to access the garage. Tried everything. Traps from animal control didn't work. They wouldn't touch poison bait/food, conventional spring traps no good. Finally put food out and surrounded it with sticky traps. Apparently they were able to jump over sticky traps cause food was gone. Added a second layer encircling first and tried again, they actually forced the traps apart and made a path. Then had to duct tape and weight the sticky traps together. Somehow they navigated to the center and got caught trying to get out on the traps. And they were big. I came outside and they were squealing and squirming stuck on the traps. After all that work it was quite satisfying shooting the bastards.:grin:

I wonder how much money could be made developing a Claymore mine for mice/rats that is motion/infrared sensitve and can differentiate between friend/foe.

Ronbo

I remember when I was a kid and had mice problems in a shop I worked at. I took 2 pieces of plywood about 1 ft square. and laid one on top the other But spaced about 2-3 inches apart. on top of one and bottom of the other I tacked wire mesh , then wired an extension cord Hot on 1 Neutral to the other ( wire mesh) Bait in the center , When lil mousey came in and touched both pieces of the wire mesh, ZAP Dead .. Dead by direct short.. Can we here at this site patent and market the idea ? Then buy more Deuce parts:)

Ridgerunner

I have about 30 csrs/trucks/boats (mostly mine, some are friends or family) stored here in my buildings on our farm. I've never had a single problem with mice getting into a car chewing up anything, ever. The best mouse deterent that I can recomend is "BARN-CATS".
The cats work for cheep, and give the wifes two Toy Poodles something to chase when they get let out side.:grin:

dozer1

Lots of great suggestions and combining them all would be good...Something I havent seen talked about much is POISON folks. I live on and run a grain farm and the best I can hope for is to keep the rodent #'s down. Lots and lots of feeding stations (wooden boxes with a hole cut in it for the mice, rats to enter) these are to keep my dogs from getting into the poison. Mine are roughly 18"long x 12"wide x 6"tall . I know poison has its drawbacks like having to follow the smell to find the corpses ect, but keep the stations maintained and loaded with poison and the pressure will go down in the months to come.......I use tomcat bait because fleet farm sells large pails of it, but I wish it was 2 or 3x more potent

Jake0147

A five gallon pail, three inches of anti-freeze in the bottom, and a smear of peanut butter about half way up the inside of it. Set it inside the cab on the floor. You don't even need to make them a ramp, those little (guys) will find their own way in. Empty it daily, they ripen quickly in the summer heat.
You'll still need a repellent to keep out new mice, but the ones that are accustomed to, acclimated to, and even born into your truck, they are stubborn and tenacious, and will quite quickly figure out that the scent is "fake" and will not be deterred. They've just got to go if you're going to alleviate the problem.

dozer1

A five gallon pail, three inches of anti-freeze in the bottom, and a smear of peanut butter about half way up the inside of it. Set it inside the cab on the floor. You don't even need to make them a ramp, those little (guys) will find their own way in. Empty it daily, they ripen quickly in the summer heat.

wouldnt the coolant keep them running at the right temp in the summer heat;-)