• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Dash indicator light for convoy lights

WWIILBird

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Can someone tell me what the story is on the two indicator lights on the instrument panel with the metal caps? I bought an indicator light from Saturn with red lense in hopes of connecting this to my convoy lights to remind me their on. I thought I would just take the metal cap off and put in this new light.

In looking under the dash there are a single wire (with metal tags #40 on each one - per the wiring chart this is instrument light circuit) going into what appears to be a light indicator body already there! The other end of the wires appear to go into the wiring harness. Anyone know what the other end connects to or purpose?

Also, the convoy light switch has four ports A & B are already populated with the wires to the power source and convoy lights. C&D are empty. I'm thinking of running a wire from the dash indicator light to either C or D to see if the indicator light lights up or splice into either A or B. Does this make sense?
Has anyone already been down this road and can share your solution?

Thanks

Boatcarpenter

WWIILBird,
"Can someone tell me what the story is on the two indicator lights on the instrument panel with the metal caps?"
Those already have light bulbs in them that light the guages through little plastic windows in the edges of them. The caps are to blank out the light from view in the cab. They are wired through your three lever switch and have a bright and dim position. Unscrew the caps and you can check the bulb in the daytime with the lights on.
I have not messed with the convoy light circuit for a while so somebody else with more recent experience with that switch will probably help you on that.
BC

jimm1009

There are no extra lights here.
The light below the air switch is for the front axle engagement and is standard.
The lower left light is for bright head light indicator.
The other two lights in line with each other are the night lights for the instruments and nothing else unless someone re-arranged the wiring to non-military specs somewhere.
Looks like you have the rotary on-off switch and nothing else unless it is not in the picture.
Edit due to re-read of orignal message.
The two lights in line with each other have the solid cover on them in order to reflect light on the forward side of the instrument panel only. The other two lights (same part number) have small holes drilled in them and they are for the indicator lights as I described above. The light housing are all the same and the bulbs are supposed to be all the same. The only difference is the cover over the red plastic lens.
Hope this helps.
NOTE: You don't have it on your truck but if you had the upgrade in warning system for the low air indicator, you would also have a light in the center where that diamond sticker is placed. This light would have no cover on the red lense as they want you to see that light immediately if it comes on then you are low on air for brakes. The upgrades give you the buzzer and light at the same time.
jimm1009

Last edited:

WWIILBird

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ok got it, then what I think I'll do is fabricate a bracket (unless someone has an extra one like the airshift they want to part with) and mount it below the dash next to the convoy light switch and see if I can draw power out of one of open sockets in the back of the switch or create a Y splice .

DieselBob

The other two sockets "C" & "D" are not tied to either "A" or "B" . The switch is a double pole single throw. The easiest thing might be to use a "28V Military Vehicle Low Air Warning Light Kit" . Has everything except the mount bracket. You can use the "Y" cable in the kit to tie into the lead that goes to the convoy lights right at the switch.

http://saturnsurplus.com/lights/lowair.htm

My 2cents

Last edited:

jimm1009

This probaly a good way to go.
The kit has a triple female Y connecor in it and the light.
You may consider putting a cover on the light similar to the bright headlights as those lights are realy really bright at night when there is no cover.
Good idea. Post and let us know how it comes out.
Saturn probably has the ones with covers for sale too.
jimm1009

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks