• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

dash light bulbs

militarytrux

Hello,
I was hoping there was someone out there that could guide me along withthe dash light bulb change out, I would like to upgrade the lights for extended night opperations.
Looking for part #'s of what would be a direct replacement and if anyone has any suggestions for upgrades?
Thanks,

Darwin T

i just replaced the dash light covers with clear red lenses for saturn surplus instead of the green metal cover (they were listed under "lights" i think). this gives me enought red light inside the cab to see but i can still see well enough to drive at the same time. i drove my M109A3 to work last night for the first time. the lights also adjust with the dimer on the light panel (i changed mine to the push button panel)

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
By improving the illumination you can reduce the voltage and increase life expectancy.
Clean all instrument "windows", take a look at a gauge that you may have laying around and you'll see the slits along the inside edge designed to let light in, clean those.
Change bulbs to the #356, which puts the filament in a better position to shine through the windows of the gauges.
The #356 is a brighter bulb and can operate at a lower voltage (=dimmed) to extend the life expectancy. The dimmer resistor inside the 3-lever light switch will reduce the voltage to about 12 to 14, add another resistor in series with the bulbs by experiment, say a 22 Ohm/10 Watt resistor and you'll get even more life out of them.

Attachments

saddamsnightmare

December 14th, 2009.

Cranetrucks use of the #356 bulb makes the gauges 100% better as regards readability at night (white or clear covers would improve it more, but they are hard as hades to find). I did my truck almost two years ago, and I can say it was worth the change.

Cheers,

Kyle F. McGrogan:-D

The bulbs specified in the above posting are no greater wattage then the original numbers, just the filament is placed higher up in the casing, thus more in line with the slots mentioned. I generally run them on the panel bright setting, and as this truck gets driven a lot at night, no ill effects have been noted on the covers.

Last edited:

Stretch44875

Super Jr. Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just a warning, there are other 24v bulbs that fit. I put another brighter bulb in and melted the lense cover.

steelandcanvas

Just curious, would it help to paint the back of the instrument panel white? I have a new panel with new gauges, and was toying with this idea.:?: Anybody done this?

Last edited:

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
A few years back Dennis Gilliam (G744 here) sent me a sack of the 356 bulbs. I never used them. Apparently he did! I'm going to try them out now to see how they work.