• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Dash lights and headlights

Slate

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm having a helluva time. I purchased a "speedhut" speedo and hooked her up. Looks good works well. But this morning when firing up my m998 up my headlights don't work and my dash lights don't work? All my gauges work and my running lights work. Any suggestions, besides get rid of the overpriced guage? Are there breakers or any fuses that could go out? Thanks

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Unplug the battery and after a half minute reconnect it in and see what happens.

Also, you’re using the factory on switch for the lights, correct?

Slate

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Unplug the battery and after a half minute Replug it in and see what happens.

Also, you’re using the factory on switch for the lights, correct?
Yes Sir. I just put a new smart box in the day before. And put in a new three-way switch to see if that was it but still nada. I'll unplug and see if that resets things.

Slate

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes Sir. I just put a new smart box in the day before. And put in a new three-way switch to see if that was it but still nada. I'll unplug and see if that resets things.

Taking the negative off did absolutely nothing.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well you were in the dash so that could explain the dash lights, have you tried hitting the dimmer switch for the headlights to see if that gets the headlights going?

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
There are two breakers behind the dash panel, make sure they are connected well, disconnect your recent additions and try again.

Slate

Steel Soldiers Supporter
There are two breakers behind the dash panel, make sure they are connected well, disconnect your recent additions and try again.
Everything is reconnected after taking new components out and the breakers were not touched. I disconnected the batteries for a bit to see if the things would reset and still nothing. My only guess is I shorted something. I forget when I go to lights on my turn signal lights stay on?

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes, the light switch powers the turn signals when in service drive position.
There is a breaker inside the switch and at first glance it looks to power everything so if you are getting running lights then there should not be a problem with power to the switch or that breaker.
It is time for some good ol trouble shooting, on the headlights first see if you are getting power to the dimmer switch that will split the circuit roughly in half and will tell you which way to go from there.
Of course you need to study the schematic first to see what wire numbers you should be looking at.
On the dash lights, first test the bulbs and check for power at the sockets, then trace from there back to the switch using the schematic
I forgot to ask, this is a three lever switch yes?

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You may also want to move the panel dimmer switch through its different positions.
Edit, it looks like the panel dimmer switch may be in the park position...

Last edited:

Slate

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You may also want to move the panel dimmer switch through its different positions.
No power through panel lights. And no power to headlight dimmer switch. The three lever switch has no effect on bright or dim in the panel.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Check terminal M on the switch (wire tag 16A) if you have running lights and turn signals and the panel dimmer switch is in the full counter clockwise position (bright), if there is no power on 16A then it looks like a defective switch.
If you have not already done so removing the plug from the back of the switch, inspecting for corrosion and putting it back together would be a good idea.

Action

There is a fuse inside the switch. I dont know if that is serviceable. Did you mess with headlights before this problem? Like maybe imported LEDs

Slate

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Check terminal M on the switch (wire tag 16A) if you have running lights and turn signals and the panel dimmer switch is in the full counter clockwise position (bright), if there is no power on 16A then it looks like a defective switch.
If you have not already done so removing the plug from the back of the switch, inspecting for corrosion and putting it back together would be a good idea.
16A has no power on this switch or the brand new switch I put in this morning. There is no corrosion on either switch and they look like clean new pins.

Slate

Steel Soldiers Supporter
There is a fuse inside the switch. I dont know if that is serviceable. Did you mess with headlights before this problem? Like maybe imported LEDs
The only thing I did was plug in a speedhut gauge. It was working fine when I installed it and went to bed. This morning no headlights brake lights or dash panel lights. All marker lights and turn signals work.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You have unplugged the speedo yes? this does not make sense, you have power going into the switch, the internal breaker controls all the power in the switch so if you did not have power to the switch and or the breaker was tripping you would not have running lights or turn signals, all that is left for the headlights is for the switch to route power to wire 16A, not to beat a dead horse but you are sure the panel dimmer switch is not in park?

Slate

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You have unplugged the speedo yes? that does not make sense, you have power going into the switch, the internal breaker controls all the power in the switch so if you did not have power to the switch and or the breaker was tripping you would not have running lights or turn signals, all that is left for the headlights is for the switch to route power to wire 16A, not to beat a dead horse but you are sure the panel dimmer switch is not in park?
Yes Sir all the way up on panel Bright. Yes everything is plugged back in correctly. That is my delima. And why I'm scratching my head. I'm hoping I just misplaced something or while I was in there I accidentally unplugged something but I keep going over and over it. I'm using a multimeter and I'm getting nothing on 16A.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks