• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Dash lights M1009

REDWOLF

Need to pull my dash apart and clean the light sockets so that my lights all will work all at the same time. Wile I am doing this I am thinking about installing red leds. In place of the stock bulbs. What are your thoughts on this?

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I personally would not
My M1008A1 is, except for three gauges, bone stock.

Your truck. Do what you want

Who cares what anyone else thinks

REDWOLF

I know what the white leds look like my brother has them in his 86 chevy suburban. They are much brighter. Just thought the red ones would look cool in the cucv. Don't know just putting it out there.

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I didn't think the dash led's were able to dim.

I did know about the GEN lights.

If you do swap, would like to see a pic.

Last edited:

Rvitko

http://48cj2a.com/cucv.htm

This guy covers what you are looking to do. I redid mine recently but I used white paint, the aluminum tape worries me because if it came loose or deteriorated it could cause a short. I also used the original type bulbs as most of mine still worked, so while I replaced them, that tells me they last a long time. I focused on cleaning and improving contacts by pinching in the holders after cleaning them first with brasso and then running them in an ultrasonic cleaner.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Also in the CUCV Helpful Threads sticky there are three threads covering the instrument cluster

We are always looking for good write ups to add to the collection.

Rvitko

Thank you, I didn't mean to take away from what is already on the board, I have used the helpful threads dozens of times and hope to add something someday. I just rarely get many pictures when I am working on the truck.

48cj2a

http://48cj2a.com/cucv.htm

This guy covers what you are looking to do. I redid mine recently but I used white paint, the aluminum tape worries me because if it came loose or deteriorated it could cause a short. I also used the original type bulbs as most of mine still worked, so while I replaced them, that tells me they last a long time. I focused on cleaning and improving contacts by pinching in the holders after cleaning them first with brasso and then running them in an ultrasonic cleaner.
I understand the concern and would highly recommend a good cleaning then white or silver paint as an alternative for a good reflective base color. The foil tape I used is some pretty good stuff made by 3M so I don't seeing coming off even with heat.

I performed a Civy Cluster and Dash Harness swap at the same time to get some creature comforts and factory gauges.

Last edited:

Ilikemtb999

I used chrome vinyl wrap in mine and red LED bulbs. Helps a lot with strain out in the mountains but driving in the city makes for slightly hard to read gauges.

My digital egt gauge is red which is what started all of this.

tim292stro

If you do repaint the inside of the cluster use a flat white. Gloss and semi gloss can result in hot-spotting - flat white will spread the light evenly inside the cluster. counter-intuitive I know...

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks