• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

dash lights?

RockRashjk

Hi,

I just brought my m1009 home last week and after fixing some vacuum and trany problems (thanks to ss) I got her running again8)

Now on to the next problem. When I turn the key on the seat belt light, when cold the wate light, water in fuel and gen 1 all light up then go off after a few seconds. my question is are the outher lights suppose to come on also? I took the cover off today and checked the bulbs and all were good. I couldnt get the speedo cabel off so I couldnt remove the cluster to check for lose wires. The 4wd dosnt work at all when I shift in to 4hi or 4low. Any Ideas?

scrambled

To get my cluster off, I pulled a little slack out of the speedo cable and pushed it through the firewall. It was only 3/4 inch, but it was enough to squeeze my hand back there and unplug the speedo. I found a bunch of my light sockets were corroded and I sanded the brass contacts with some emory cloth. This fixed most of the bulbs.

I have seen clusters where the printed circuits were melted and burned. I never bothered to repair them, since so many trucks were at the bone yard. I did buy one from LMC once for 80 bucks and it was worth it to have every single bulb working.

Armada

Both your genlights should be working. The speedo cable comes off easily by 'squeezing or pinching' the clamp that holds it on. The contacts on the light sockets and especially the exposed copper paths on the circuit 'board' will oxidize over time, faster when just sitting long periods. I would remove the cluster and clean the sockets and copper contacts. The copper paths are very thin and fragile so be careful when cleaning. Use a pencil eraser and light pressure.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter

Armada

Great, you got the cluster out. Like I said above, be careful and use very light pressure when cleaning the copper path contact points with either a pencil eraser or better yet, wiping with a cleaning solvent. Remove the sockets and clean them too, put in new bulbs, and you should be good to go for a long time.

RockRashjk

Great, you got the cluster out. Like I said above, be careful and use very light pressure when cleaning the copper path contact points with either a pencil eraser or better yet, wiping with a cleaning solvent. Remove the sockets and clean them too, put in new bulbs, and you should be good to go for a long time.
Well I took the whole ciuster apart and found that 2 of the bad spots were burned all the way through. I just got back from pick-a-part a found a cluster out of a suburban and the circut board look gerat so im just going to chang it out and and I should be good to go:-D

Attachments

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just got back from pick-a-part a found a cluster out of a suburban and the circut board look gerat so im just going to chang it out and and I should be good to go:-D
For future reference, what year of Suburban did you get the part from? What type of cluster? Idiot Lights or gauges? Might help someone else in the future.

Glad you got it worked out. [thumbzup]

P.S. - if you don't want the old one send it to me

Last edited:

RockRashjk

For future reference, what year of Suburban did you get the part from? What type of cluster? Idiot Lights or gauges? Might help someone else in the future.

Glad you got it worked out. [thumbzup]

P.S. - if you don't want the old one send it to me
I think it was a 87 but not 100%, but any cluster with idiot lights out of a full size chevy 81-87 will work. I got the compleat cluster lights and all for $30 bucks. I think I trashed the old one but if I still have it its yours, Ill check when I get home.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks