• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Dash pad question

dc_cucv

So i see basically 3 options for a replacement dash pad.

1: LMC - 38-8129-BL - https://www.lmctruck.com/1973-91-chevy-gmc/dash-components/cc-csb-1973-91-dash-pads - $409 (urethane)

2: Top Flight - GM82014 - https://www.topflightautomotive.com...rolet-c-k-series-gmc-dash-pad-urethane-black/ - $283 (urethane)

3: Top Flight - GM82002 - https://www.topflightautomotive.com...et-c-k-series-gmc-truck-dash-pad-vinyl-black/ - $396 (says vinyl)

Do any of you have these installed?

Which is the most solid of the bunch? I read the forum posts about dash's and did not see a consensus on which fit best. Or which material will be best.

Obviously I'm tempted to order the $283 one since it's the cheapest, but i also believe you get what you pay for, so i would rather spend a few more bucks and get a more quality piece.

Thanks!!!

2deuce

Even the originals weren't built that nice...they were mid 80's quality, but from what I have read, these aftermarket replacements don't at all fit right. What I would like to find(in a perfect world) is a place that would rebuild/recover the original, so it would go back on like it came off, but without all the cracks and crispy pieces.

cucvrus

My experience has been that the only ones that fit and have the entire steel underlayment in 1 piece is the original ones. Where I have issues with fit is where the dash screws to the right side and I have extra issues with the lack of the metal flange in the corners where the instrument cluster on the originals was designed to hold the clip speed nuts. Just having holes in the corners with tin there is not enough to get the proper fit and alignment for the cluster cover. I bit the bullet and paid $600. for a 99% perfect genuine GM dash pad. I bought it for my current build. I have stretched the green canvas on a few and attached it. It worked for years, and I sold them that way. 1664039900517.png
I had this dash pad recovered in Tijuana, I had the seats tucked and rolled.
1664040036017.png
Enjoy the day. I had a Camo cover made for this dash and lived Happily ever After.
1664040157901.png

cucvrus

dc_cucv

That looks like a good deal. If I were needing a nice one that is the one, I would purchase. i never seen one but if it has the 1-piece metal unlayment that is the one you want. Good Luck.

So would this be one to avoid? No mention of metal backing plate....

antennaclimber

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here are a few pictures of my Top Flight dash board. Not exactly sure which on it is. I think it's the Top Flight - GM82014
Very nice product, I drive over and pick them up at the retail outlet in Reedsville, PA.

Attachments

Last edited:

cucvrus

Why doesn't anyone want to say if it is 1 piece metal and has a flange at the cluster for tinnerman nuts. 1664122408198.png
I have tried everyone I could and the only ones that truly fit and match have been the OEM ones. I will look into these ones you are showing. I only need 1 more in decent condition. If the rest of the vehicle warrants a new dash pad, I would spring for the OEM or a close to OEM that fits correctly. Most of my problems with fit are the cluster corners, The area above the glove box and at the sides where they transition into the weather strips. The expensive one I bought from Brothers was a massive FAIL.
1664122654800.png 3 pieces of metal laminated into the underlayment.

cucvrus

Classic Car Dashes 1981-1991 Chevrolet C/K Series GMC Dash Pad - Urethane - Black (topflightautomotive.com)
1664122914086.png
You told me about this dash pad before, and I looked at the picture on the web site. I question the droop over the cluster in the picture. With a metal underlayment there should be no droop. That should set firmly and straight. This looks like a cover piece.
1664123163654.png
1981- 1987 GMC & Chevy Truck Dash Pad OE Vinyl Style - Chevy Truck Parts (usa1industries.com)
This one has the nice transitions at the door seals, but it does lack the hole on the driver's side to screw it to the steel dash. A lot of money but worth it if it fits correctly. I never used one of these.

dc_cucv

Classic Car Dashes 1981-1991 Chevrolet C/K Series GMC Dash Pad - Urethane - Black (topflightautomotive.com)
View attachment 880396
You told me about this dash pad before, and I looked at the picture on the web site. I question the droop over the cluster in the picture. With a metal underlayment there should be no droop. That should set firmly and straight. This looks like a cover piece.
View attachment 880397
1981- 1987 GMC & Chevy Truck Dash Pad OE Vinyl Style - Chevy Truck Parts (usa1industries.com)
This one has the nice transitions at the door seals, but it does lack the hole on the driver's side to screw it to the steel dash. A lot of money but worth it if it fits correctly. I never used one of these.

This is the one with the metal underlayment/frame.

If you get it, let me know how it is. I am going to plan on getting on soon, but i need my injector pump work done first.

Keith_J

A great looking $50 solution which seems viable with a bit of work:

A good bit of work. I would grind out the bad vinyl and foam plus all vinyl around the bezels for proper inset fit. Sheet poly foam is available as hardened foam grinds rapidly.

The fabric backed vinyl may not have enough elasticity for sharp bends, test fit and carefully sand the fabric off the back in these areas.

One could use leather as it has far more plasticity when steamed. Chrome tanned leather has mineral pigments which should resist fading, especially for automotive upholstery types. You should be able to source it for under $100.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks