• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Dash Pad Replacement

rodent

Looking to replace my dash pad on my m1008 with a black one. Prices can get pretty high by the time you add shipping. From the reviews, looks like OER has bad fitment so staying away from them.

I can't use a cover since my current dash has been replaced already and has horrible fitment issues and is cracked badly.

I went and priced all the lower cost non-vinyl dashes for my truck. Price includes shipping
Raybuck $290
NPD- $300
LMC- $392
Cheyenne PIck Up Parts $390
Parts Place $301 (on ebay)
USA1: $413
brothers $450+
Dashes Direct $390
73-87chevytrucks $400
Classic Industries $314 (with coupon DWN18 )

So I went and ordered the Raybuck Dash. Got it today and its actually made by Dashes Direct. Dashes Direct also makes the USA1 vinyl covered dashes and the reviews have been great on USA1 dashes. I'll update this when I install the dash pad and report any fitment issues. If anyone else has experience with replacing their dash pad, would like to hear what dash you used and how it fit.

My Raybuck dash (Dashes Direct)
20180301_173110.jpg

Someone elses Raybuck dash and his review:
Everything fit perfect. I did have to use my old clips and trim of course. To get the clips in the new dash I just used a knife to cut a little slit and install the clips. I thought it was really nice quality. Nice fit and soft material.
28058467_10215966101775973_4389844961814642688_n.jpg28056604_10215966100575943_7957192098623520768_n.jpg

Last edited:

ralbelt

Mine is starting to crack, I had it recoloured about 5 years ago, I'm thinking of removing it and having one of the local sign companies do a wrap on it.
'

Mainsail

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Mine was complete toast and I was considering removing all the remaining foam and just painting the steel (saw one that someone had done and it didn't look half bad), but found a NOS aftermarket one on craigslist. Guy had bought it for his blazer and stuck it up in the attic and it sat for years, then he sold the truck and had forgotten about the dash pad. I paid less than $100 if my memory is correct. I painted it to match the CUCV interior but in hindsight I should have left it black; even with good prep the paint is fragile. The fit is just so-so but it's hard to notice.

rodent

Mine is starting to crack, I had it recoloured about 5 years ago, I'm thinking of removing it and having one of the local sign companies do a wrap on it.
'
Thats an idea. Upholstery shop here locally wanted $1000 to wrap it in leather which is out of my budget. I think doing a military green canvas wrap would look good but not sure how it would handle fading.
Mine was complete toast and I was considering removing all the remaining foam and just painting the steel (saw one that someone had done and it didn't look half bad), but found a NOS aftermarket one on craigslist. Guy had bought it for his blazer and stuck it up in the attic and it sat for years, then he sold the truck and had forgotten about the dash pad. I paid less than $100 if my memory is correct. I painted it to match the CUCV interior but in hindsight I should have left it black; even with good prep the paint is fragile. The fit is just so-so but it's hard to notice.
Yeah NOS with no cracks are rare to find these days.

This is my 85 Chevrolet through the years I have had to replace more then a few times even covering with a dash mat nothing lasts more then a few years till I did this about 3 years a go and cover it with a dash mat because I just happen to have one .To get the foam off the metal brake clean works good if this truck was military I would have painted it OD green like all other military trucks .

Attachments

sandsock

I ordered the Classic Industries on a Cyber Monday sale in brown but the instructions said best results would be trying over 70 degrees for fitting (urethane dash) so have had to wait until early summer before attempting. Mice ate up most of the old dash when USFWS owned it.

nyoffroad

This is my 85 Chevrolet through the years I have had to replace more then a few times even covering with a dash mat nothing lasts more then a few years till I did this about 3 years a go and cover it with a dash mat because I just happen to have one .To get the foam off the metal brake clean works good if this truck was military I would have painted it OD green like all other military trucks .
That really doesn't look bad, I never would've thought that would look that way.

LastFbody

OER fits okay, not perfectly. They sit correctly once you get all the screws in place. I wouldn't go that route again soley because it didn't take vinyl paint all that well. I used good SEM Burgundy with adhesion promoter and did everything according to the instructions, and still flaked around the edges a bit.

If you're just gonna leave it the stock color then they would work very nicely. I cut the hole for the military radio mount in mine, the rubber (?) that they're made out of is colored all the way through, not just the top layer. Theres no foam underneath either. The material is also fairly tough. Theres a decent steel backing most of the way through too. I'd actually get another one once my spray job goes to heck IF they came in the original burgundy, also known as 'bronze' according to GM. *rolls eyes*

Last edited:

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have a USA1 pad and it’s ok.
Wasn't that impressed with fit and finish and their customer service is awful.
There is a thread about it.

If you still have your original GM dash pad, there is a company in California that will refinish it back to OEM condition.
They do a lot of hot rod custom work also.
I found out about them after I installed the USA1 dash.
Searh for the thread and their website link is posted.
Amazing work and not much more expensive than the top aftermarket ones.

rodent

OER fits okay, not perfectly. They sit correctly once you get all the screws in place. I wouldn't go that route again soley because it didn't take vinyl paint all that well. I used good SEM Burgundy with adhesion promoter and did everything according to the instructions, and still flaked around the edges a bit.
If you're just gonna leave it the stock color then they would work very nicely. I cut the hole for the military radio mount in mine, the rubber (?) that they're made out of is colored all the way through, not just the top layer. Theres no foam underneath either. The material is also fairly tough. Theres a decent steel backing most of the way through too. I'd actually get another one once my spray job goes to heck IF they came in the original burgundy, also known as 'bronze' according to GM. *rolls eyes*
The other reviews on OER weren't that good so I kept them off the list. Good input on OER.
I have a USA1 pad and it’s ok.
Wasn't that impressed with fit and finish and their customer service is awful.
There is a thread about it.
If you still have your original GM dash pad, there is a company in California that will refinish it back to OEM condition.
They do a lot of hot rod custom work also.
I found out about them after I installed the USA1 dash.
Searh for the thread and their website link is posted.
Amazing work and not much more expensive than the top aftermarket ones.
Good to know! I just found the thread. Looks the way mine fit. I think Dashes Direct makes the USA1 dashes. Someone else got USA1 dash and it had Dashes Direct name on the box.
https://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?153157-Need-new-dashpad-Which-brand-has-held-up-best

If its Just Dashes in CA, they are pricey. I called them 2 weeks ago.
$700 plus $135 for one way shipping (does not include your dash shipping to them). They need a factory dash for 3-4 months. Oh and if you want a different color besides black its $100 to $200 more depending on color. so... by the end of the day you are looking at $1200 for Just Dashes.

Last Sunday I finally replaced the dash with a Raybuck (Dashes Direct) Fitment was ok, not the best. I give it a 7 out of 10. I didn't like how the trim plate at the far right aligned up. Clips were a bitch to remove and install and you do have cut out some material for the clips to work. The cluster bezel doesn't fit well where the corners are but it still works after its screwed in.

Overall it looks good but not perfect for a show truck.

20180304_173918.jpg

20180304_174110.jpg

Last edited:

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The poor bezel fit on the USA1 was my biggest complaint.
Along with fit and color coming off when lightly scuffed.

I would gladly pay the higher cost and wait time for a proper dash.
More for the ease of getting in and out of dash for repairs to cluster, etc.

Now I dread the day when I need to take bezel out to get behind Dash.

rodent

Yeah, I feel the same way about Dashes Direct with the bezel and trim plate fitment. I'm happy with the black urethane doesn't scratch and should never crack like the vinyl. I'm not sure why these companies can't make a proper fitting dash.

D6T

I searched and found this thread instead of starting a new one.

What was the original dash cover color on an M1009?

Mine is grey and appears to be original, or at least I see no evidence that it was ever removed. It is cracked and weathered and I'm considering replacing it this year.

Looking online, I see some as grey, some maroon/bronze like the rest of the interior, and some black.

TGP (IL)

Grey is a non painted original.
Black is probably a painted original.

Back in the day the pad could be ordered from GM in the correct color.
After a while they were sold gray and paint to match.
Tom

cucvrus

DSCF4811.jpgI have covered a few with padded seat cover material. Not show boat but I never worried about getting it dirty or having the sun rot the new one. It looks OK to me and that's all that counts. I am not showing this truck. The Army had a few with green canvas covers on the dash pads. This material has out lasted that at 10 years. Happy Easter.

41cl8m5

The original color from the factory was burgandy or dark red. The replacements were gray. All Chevy CUCV also came with floor mats wall to wall and door to door but were removed in most cases because the troops were required to wash the truck clean inside out before turn in at the end of the day, so they where put away wet and clean windows rolled up. Only problem with that is the material between the ruberish vinal mat would act like a sponge and hold the moisture in place for a long time that is why the floors had rust issues and the accelerated cracking of the dash pads from the interior humidity and temperature. An order came out to remove the floor covering and to stop using the pressure wash on the inside of the truck but by that time the damage was all ready done. Chevy changed to black for dashes as a standard that could be died or painted but that was way after the CUCV series was out or serviceability

KamikazeKunze

Crap! I was stripping my dash with a sonic tool yesterday and was down to the foam residue when I got pissed and just ordered the OER in black from Jeg’s for $289 with free shipping. I should’ve checked here first.....they bare metal painted doesn’t look bad at all.
I’ll let ya’ll know how it is when it arrives.
If it fits poorly I’ll send it back.

cucvrus

Cancel the order. It will fit badly. Even the Brothers one is POOR. Multiple pieces of metal in lieu of one piece. Do something with the metal one. Line X it. I done that already with the vinyl sanded and filled the cracks. Not bad. Taped the area around the cluster bezel and flat blacked that. Gone now no pictures and cost me $125.

Rutjes

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I guess I have to agree with cucvrus' DIY aproach...

IMG_20180402_210123.jpg

(WIP obviously :-o)

By the way, those are 2 single DIN storage units (from my VW Polo) I put in there.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks