• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

dashboard cover

bht50

Im thinking of buying one of those dashboard covers from JC Whitney that just go over the existing dash for my m1008. My dash is in really bad shape and didnt know if anyone else has used one of those and if so how it looked?

m38inmaine

I dont' like them, there is a company on ebay selling new dashpads. Keep you eye out for people parting out cucv's here all the time, I just got alot of rust free parts from a poster here. One of the first things I ask for is the dash pad. The gov't replaced alot of them so there are some around.

Broncoman

If the dash pad is not real bad you can get them to fit somewhat nice, but if the dash pad is REAL bad and has a lot of cracks and places that the dash is raised up they will not lay flat and can look crappy. We have one truck the dash just had a few small cracks and it looks prety good, but my 1008 dash is horrible and the cover doesn't fit well at all.

allrevup

I used one before and it look OK. You need to trim down the raised edges around the cracks and fill then with some flexible glue or potty to slow down further damage before putting the dash cover on. LOOK in ebay under 1991 chevy dash, that guy matches your CUCV Bronze color for you, but every thing else will look faded. If I had to do over I would put a NEW dash pad reproduction as they are more UV "resistant" atleast to a better degree then NOS (some of the CUCV are on their third dash pad) and go ALL BLACK or GRAY interior, no color matching issues and a lot less work.

bht50

how hard is it to replace the top pad part, like an afternoon or all day? I may just try the pad since its only 30 dollars and if it looks crappy break down and buy a new replacement.

motorolanut

I got one from LMC and sent it back due to it being cheesy. I ended up getting mine from UNEEDAPART.COM this website puts your parts request on a nationwide salvage yard parts request locator. The service is free and the salvage yards will most likely email you a pic of the dash pad they have. :-D

allrevup

Dash R. & R.

Remove the dash bezel(black plastic part around the intrument) about 10-12 screws then about 10 screws around the dash board pad. Lift front of dash pad (about 1" or 2") and pull toward the (you) rear. Put back in reverse order = about 1 hour, you are done. Dash cover instalation time would depend on what needs to be repair, and dryng time at least 2 times longer. Good Luck.

mboswell

I put a black on one my m1008 and I think it looks just fine. Think I ordered it from JC Whitney. It took a little bit to get it to lay flat as the dash was pretty messed up. This is a pretty good alternative if a replacement is not readily available.

scottc

Mine was cracked, I was a little skeptical about a dash cover. I ended up buying a new dash from chevyduty. I think it ran me about 275. I went ahead and bought 2 new black door panels at the same time. The end product was turned out great.

aboonski

I used a dashboard cover out of a 1989 GMC Jimmy (K5 Blazer). I sprayed it with a can of Krylon Fusion for plastic Burgundy paint, UPC # 24504 02325 (2325 Burgundy). Prior to spray painting the dash it was grey. This particular paint does scratch off pretty easy but you can prevent that but being careful not to stack or place sharp objects near the painted surface. This has been on my truck for over a year now and it still looks like new. Check your local used parts houses or just buy a used K5 just for the dash and part out the remainder to get your money back.

Attachments

bht50

yea im talking about one of those that look kinda like carpet. I post a pic of what i got once i put it on the truck. Would have already done it but my headlight switch broke on me 2 days ago then i went to start it to got get a new switch and the starter caught on fire before i got out of my driveway(just replaced it 2 months ago with a gear reduction one). So now im waitin on a new starter again.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks