• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Data plate ground down on GL buy

Mike929

Steel Soldiers Supporter
How can I get information on my USAF truck without the data plate. I have the S/N but that is it. S/N is 1040-10443. I was going to order a reproduction data plate but would like to have the correct data for the truck on it.

Also, I'm trying to fill out my SF-97 but do not know the year. I guessed it was 1986 based on the USAF "blue warranty tag". Should I just put 1986 on my SF-97 and move forward since the info has been destroyed?

Attachments

papercu

If you go with 1986 your DMV may want a 17 digit VIN. I've read about people just adding zeros to make the correct amount. Good Luck, Wayne

Mike929

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Carnac can not help the Army does not keep track of Air Force trucks.

That S/N is the VIN and 86-87 is the right year. So that is all you should need.
Thanks, just submitted the SF97 request from GL.

What other info is on the data plate where mine has been ground and painted over? I want to order a new plate and was curious if I would be able to recover any of that info through research?

Thanks,
Mike

Crawdaddy

My biggest question is why was the plate ground down and painted over? I can't think of off hand any reason for the military to deface just the ID part of a data plate. They've surplussed plenty of things with swapped or missing dataplates. Unfortunately I do not have any wisdom to impart.

jasonjc

Its a OKC air force thing. My truck they took ALL the plates off the truck.

The builder name (AM Gen in your case) contract number. It all kinda depends on the plate. They had diferent stuff over the years. Some one on here with one of these newer trucks should be able to fill you in on the stuff you need.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
So what was the date stamped on the warranty tag? Did your brother get a closeup of it? And did you look on the bed for the unit number?

I posted pictures of where to look in the other thread where you where asking the same question. (duplicate threads are against the rules by the way ;))

Last edited:

Mike929

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So what was the date on the warranty tag? Did your brother get a closeup of it? And did you look on the bed for the unit number?
Here is the Blue Tag. Nothing for a date. I submitted the truck as a 1986 AM General Corporation this morning with the Serial number listed above.

Attachments

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Last edited:

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
. I have the S/N but that is it. S/N is 1040-10443... I guessed it was 1986 based on the USAF "blue warranty tag". Should I just put 1986 on my SF-97 and move forward since the info has been destroyed?
The pictures I posted on the other thread shows my VIN as 1040-10100 and it was delivered May of 1987. Yours was built after mine. Your truck is a more than likely a 1987 (possible an 1988 ) and not an 1986.

Contact GL now nad have them change the paper work

Last edited:

Mike929

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The pictures I posted on the other thread shows my VIN as 1040-10100 and it was delivered May of 1987. Yours was built after mine. Your truck is a more than likely a 1987 (possible an 1988 ) and not an 1986.

Contact GL now nad have them change the paper work
Dang it. I knew as soon as I sent in the request, I would find out I was wrong.:(

Request sent to GL. I will have to look into the insurance Monday since all my paperwork is at work. I hope they don't jack my rates because it is now 24 years old instead of 25. :(

Mike929

Steel Soldiers Supporter
They won't jack your rates up, they just won't insure the vehicle now. Did you apply to Hagerty?
No, I am through Gulfway (Travelers). It will be registered as a Former Military Vehicle in Texas which entertains the same stance as an Antique.

Mike929

Steel Soldiers Supporter
There is no good reason, but somebody in that chain of command thinks so. My AF Deuce even had the stenciled tire pressure markings "blacked out". :roll:
They painted over all stenciled markings, but only ground on the unit numbers and the data plate.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks