• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Data plate unreadable

swabbie

There is a guy in Germany that would like to buy my M988.
He tells me that to import it into his country, the government
requires a legible data plate. It looks as if someone steel wooled
all the paint off of the one on my truck. When I bought the
vehicle, it has a clear NJ title, so it was an non issue. The
serial number is still there and can be viewed with some effort.
I have a couple of questions about this for anyone who knows:

Anyone here ever heard of a reason to deface a data plate?

Is there any way to replace the data plate?

Thanks,
Joe.

swabbie

Simple matter of buying a new plate and restamping the numbers on it. Rivet the plate back on and nobody will ever know.
Didn't know these existed, do you know of a vendor or two!?
Simple matter of buying a new plate and restamping the numbers on it. Rivet the plate back on and nobody will ever know.
Hey, thinking they were a sacred part, I didn't know they were available!
Thanks, very much.

AAVP7

Perhaps you could send the original data plate together with the Humvee to Germany. Sometimes, the guys at out test authorities (TUV) are VERY suspicious if a vehicle has only a dataplate, and no stamped VIN in the frame, and eye the dataplate very closely. When they see new rivets, they´ll suspect fraud rightaway. Then the original dataplate, even if hardly legible, could maybe help calm them down.

Personally, I would prefer to bring the vehicle to the TUV with the old dataplate still in place, and then offer them to replace the plate after they have checked the original one.

Action

Every data plate I have seen in the GP auctions have been riveted
Look for a1 trucks with gvwr of 12k or higher and the data plate at an angle. Most of the gp data plates arent amg issue.
I will post a couple pics when my pc is back in action.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Look for a1 trucks with gvwr of 12k or higher and the data plate at an angle. Most of the gp data plates arent amg issue.
I will post a couple pics when my pc is back in action.
So you are saying GP changes all the data plates???

Action

So you are saying GP changes all the data plates???
Not gp but when reset. Like when a data plate has 2010 on it but it really from the 90’s. The black data plates with white characters are not from amg. Amg didnt put scannable codes on data plates.
Yes. Almost all the trucks i look at have had data plate replaced.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
When vehicles go through reset it is common for them to replace the data plate with a new one at the depot.
I am doubtful my 93 M998 ever went through "reset" as it still has the 1993 date code tires and only one coat of paint and appears to have the original riveted data plate.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks