• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

DatGuyC's hmmwv project thread

DatGuyC

Haha I'm still driving mine around with the stock setup. Its good to see the ac compressor fits between the frame rails, I was a little worried about that.

Skrilex

Banned
Haha I'm still driving mine around with the stock setup. Its good to see the ac compressor fits between the frame rails, I was a little worried about that.
I’m not so sure it does fit actually. Yes it’s there but it’s touching frame rail and I may need to shift engine that way a little more also. Everything is very tight. I don’t see how the front driveline is going to fit past oil pan with only 2” body lift......

Skrilex

Banned
Okay good news! Settled the engine a little more and got the tranny x member in. Sitting more level with some space on the AC pulley there’s not enough room for factory engine mount on the drivers side, that big one that offsets the factory engine so much. And I was thinking this makes the front driveline interfere with the oil pan or starter etc. it just looked like there wasn’t near enough room for the front u joint or balancer or anything before just rotating the block a few degrees and, it looks like it actually clears pretty well! So we could leave engine here I think, and retain factory AC. I’ll need to check driveline angles etc however. The t case is a lot farther back now so that part needs lengthened in at least one place, but may need length added on both ends.

So so how much room do we need in front of the harmonic balancer? I’m at about 1/8” or less right now. Seems a tad tight.

Attachments

DatGuyC

Only problem I can see is that if you ever have to remove the damper then you would have to move the engine back some to get it off. Is it too tight to put a new serpentine belt on?

Skrilex

Banned
Only problem I can see is that if you ever have to remove the damper then you would have to move the engine back some to get it off. Is it too tight to put a new serpentine belt on?
Well it needs at least enough room for a belt change that’s for sure. And a damper change too. I’ll shoot for 1/4” which should allow both.