• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Daves super slow m35a2 build

s1036s

Well that is just a few, anyway things that need to be done to get this driveable....

right now I am working on the alternator, trying to get it to charge the batteries. After finding all the cables I needed in the cab and hooking them up, I still am only getting 24volts at the alternator. So time for a rebuild or upgrade to the smaller 24 volt alternators. Only thing that slowin me down is that I want to hook up a trailer harness for civy trailers with brakes. So I want 12 volt also.

Could this possible work... If I ran 2 12 volt alternators, each charging its own battery, then I could draw 12 volts of one battery for accesories, without throwing the balance off between the 24 volts system. I dont see the difference in doing it this way, or running one 12 and one 24 volt alternator. Basically I wouldnt have to have more then 2 batteries????

Last edited:

Unforgiven

If you use two 12volt alternators, one running to each battery then yes it would still have 24 volts when wired in series. But, you would have to isolate the 12-24 alternator with nylon bushings & make sure there are no circuits completed between it & the 0-12 ground. To do otherwise would complete an unwanted 24v circuit. The 12-24 battery would have to have a dedicated (isolated) ground wire running from the battery to the isolated alternator. Also, be careful of the 0-12 alternator. It should be wired with high-amperage diodes to avoid a 24 to 12 circuit.

I found that out the hard way that accidentally leaving the 24v headlights on w/o the truck running will lead to a 12v circuit from the +24 battery to the +12 battery ... completing a 12v circuit through the 0-12 alternator. The headlights were on very dimly (12v instead of 24v). This will drain the 12-24 battery & overcharge the 0-12 battery. It's an easy fix, just be aware of it. If I hadn't caught it, the 0-12 battery would have probably exploded.

It might be easier to simply buy Wolverine's dual alternator kit & install battery cutoffs on the + side of the batteries.

s1036s

Ok, i read through your write up, (I think it was yours) on your 12/ 24 volt setup and have read many others. Wolverines kit is nice but spendy. Also I am looking at the hmmwv alternators with 12/ 24 volt system. Still on the fence trying to figure out which way to jump. Basically it boils down to the first deal that I can find. Thanks

s1036s

the more paint that comes off, the more rust I am finding. I am going to quit picking at it for now and get it on the street first. Then deal with paint later. Little things add up quick, thats why I named this the super slow build

s1036s

yes I saw your write up. I will have questions when that day comes. Ill be happy to drive this on the road, then worry about paint. Thanks for the motivation though

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks