• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Davey/Ingersoll Rand Air Compressor

marsman

All,

I am interested in a Davey or Ingersoll Rand mil Air Compressor to run some air tools and blast cabinet. Does anyone know anything about either of these compressors? Good bad indifferent? Parts availability? I could find very little here or on the web. i am not sure why but they do seem to go quick on our favorite action site.

Any help would be great!

rickf

I have one of the gasoline powered units if that is what you are talking about. Mine is a Quincey but they are all about the same. Minis rated at 15 CFM at 125 lbs. That is NOT going to happen! It is quite adequate for air tools and a blaster though. Mine is powered by the A4032 military standard engine.

Rick

JMJINC

7MC-2a mc-2a

I have a 7mc-2a with a hatz diesel 15cfm @ 200psi. The compressor is incredible works great so far 166hrs when I got it. Parts are very expensive for the engine and near impossible to get for compressor. You have to make sure its in working condition when you purchase it and get a manual. I got mine from a government auction first purchase boy did I get an education. Injection system had been heisted for another unit. Cost me around $800.00 for parts and that was alot less than Hatz wanted. Then the compressor would not build pressure. I assume thats why they took the parts off engine. I took the compressor apart and found a bad regulator valve washer. (Home Depot plumbing department works great now). Just won 2 more of them in running condition on GL out of New Mexico. No that I got my school of hard nocks education I might as well make some money back. You have to make sure you look at the condition code on the Government Liquidators listings.
I set mine on 125 psi hook up the DA and pull the trigger for a 30 sec pressure drops 5psi let go of the trigger right bck up. When I start it up it buils 125 within a minute no tool needs 200psi but it will do it if you need it to.

I have one of the gasoline powered units if that is what you are talking about. Mine is a Quincey but they are all about the same. Minis rated at 15 CFM at 125 lbs. That is NOT going to happen! It is quite adequate for air tools and a blaster though. Mine is powered by the A4032 military standard engine.

Rick

rickf

The parts for the Quincey are still available from Quincey. As far as the 15 CFM rating, no that is not going to happen. If you are building 150 lbs of pressure in an 80 gallon tank in one minute then you have 60 gallons of water in it! These are good compressors though so if you get one complete and running it is a good deal. The gasoline powered ones have a good parts support and most of the compressors have parts available from the original manufacturer.

JMJINC

15CFM @ 200 psi

Your statement is perplexing. If you know anything about a 7mc2a built 1994 with the davey compressor and hatz diesel engine you would know what I'm saying is correct. Where did this 80 Gal tank come from you speak of mine is about 10 Gal. And it puts out every bit of what I say it does. Maybe time to get rid of that quincey.

The parts for the Quincey are still available from Quincey. As far as the 15 CFM rating, no that is not going to happen. If you are building 150 lbs of pressure in an 80 gallon tank in one minute then you have 60 gallons of water in it! These are good compressors though so if you get one complete and running it is a good deal. The gasoline powered ones have a good parts support and most of the compressors have parts available from the original manufacturer.

rickf

Before you go insulting me I would suggest you do some research. I do not think there is a 15 CFM compressor made that is hooked to a ten gallon tank. Would not be safe. I will look into your part number and if I am wrong I will apologize. One cubic foot is roughly 6.5 gallons.

Rick

rickf

That is at least a 60 gallon tank and it is also a rotary compressor so it is not in the same league as the compressors that we were discussing. I will admit that it probably will fill that tank in a minute but this is a compressor that is designed for volume and not pressure tools. This is for jackhammers and that sort of thing. I would also bet that the CFM rating should be much higher, They are generally in the 150 - 250 CFM range. Never believe everything you see in a G/L description. If they do not know they guess! I looked at the G/L add and the data plate does say 15 CFM but I have never seen a rotary compressor rated that low. Put a 1/2 hose on it wide open and I bet it keeps up, That is a LOT more than 15 CFM.

Last edited:

JMJINC

It is not the compressor you are discussing but it is the one I am discussing. If you look at the begining of the thread he asked about a Davey or IR, these are 2 wheel mounted on trailers. All you have to do is google 7mc-2a and you will see the picture of the compressors we are discussing. Yes they are rated @15 cfm 200PSI Davey hydrovane compressor weighs 895 pounds on wheels, diesel driven 20hp Hatz engine. No insulting going on here but when you make a statement as fact you should know the facts. The Government is surplusing these units there are not alot out there. There is even less info on the net of anyone discussing then. I can send you a video of it running and building that pressure if you would like.

That is at least a 60 gallon tank and it is also a rotary compressor so it is not in the same league as the compressors that we were discussing. I will admit that it probably will fill that tank in a minute but this is a compressor that is designed for volume and not pressure tools. This is for jackhammers and that sort of thing. I would also bet that the CFM rating should be much higher, They are generally in the 150 - 250 CFM range. Never believe everything you see in a G/L description. If they do not know they guess! I looked at the G/L add and the data plate does say 15 CFM but I have never seen a rotary compressor rated that low. Put a 1/2 hose on it wide open and I bet it keeps up, That is a LOT more than 15 CFM.

JMJINC

I dont believe anything I read I am using the thing so I believe what I see. So unless you believe me to be lying thats the way it is. No jack hammers! It was designed for pneumatic tools on the flight line. I have the compressor regulated down to 125 and openned the ball valve on the tank and it maintained.
Maybe you should go get yourself one.

Last edited:

rickf

Well you got yourself a deal. If it maintains with the ball valve open then it is higher than 15CFM. I would like to have one but at this point I have to start thinking about selling stuff. It will not be long before I cannot walk so that kind of stuff would not help me much. I see they have a bunch of them for sale.

Rick

JMJINC

That site can be addicting and yes they come up for auction quite a bit. The trick is finding one that is in working condition thus the condition code description on GL site. Ft Carson is terrible for any sort of description on items. These parts can be crazy expensive especially the german stuff. For some reason the Davey and Hatz stuff is just not around. Hatz wanted $950.00 for the injection pump and $255.00 per injector. The valve that was bad in the compressor. I located it at a gov aquisition site they quoted me $450.00. Thus the trip down to home depot plumbing department. Soaked the seal in oil for a few days to make sure it would standup so far so good we will see. The trick I guess is not to just buy stuff but to put the stuff you buy to work for you! John

Tobiasinla

I have a 7mc-2a with a hatz diesel 15cfm @ 200psi. The compressor is incredible works great so far 166hrs when I got it. Parts are very expensive for the engine and near impossible to get for compressor. You have to make sure its in working condition when you purchase it and get a manual. I got mine from a government auction first purchase boy did I get an education. Just won 2 more of them in running condition on GL out of New Mexico.
So are you going to start a thread on these in Auxiliary Equipment? I thought these were interesting, but might wake the dead when you were running them. I was also surprised they sold for so much money. Does the manual have a part or PIN number?

m_63_small.jpgm_62_small.jpg

JMJINC

Looks like you might have it handled already. I purchased the disc on ebay I believe it was. Part# for compressor tech manual is 86290-1 NSN 4310-01-370-6351 Engine is Part#00031000 no NSN. Guy's are taking these diesel engines and installing them in motorcycles. They get 100 mpg. Hatz 2G30 early Model 2G40 newer but I believe they are the same. Yes they are selling expensive lately I am going down to New Mexico to get two more I one @ Airforce base tomorrow morning. Figure because there are so few out there and they are so compact I might be able to make some money.

Last edited:

benand117

Before you go insulting me I would suggest you do some research. I do not think there is a 15 CFM compressor made that is hooked to a ten gallon tank. Would not be safe. I will look into your part number and if I am wrong I will apologize. One cubic foot is roughly 6.5 gallons.

Rick

Tank size has nothing to do with safety. I have a 25cfm Quincey that is hooked to a 10 gallon tank. It could be hooked to a 2 gallon tank. It wouldn't matter. When it hits the set pressure it will shut off, or the safety valve will lift. It's mounted to a small trailer and gas powered so i can use it anywhere. The tank acts like a capacitor. The compressor will run all my tools by itself but the speed will surge up and down without the tank. Big tanks are for small compressors. You need 80gal of comressed air in reserve so the compressor can keep up.

jimk

In Memorial
In Memorial
I was interested in an old tow behind (circa 1957 mod 3312 w/ Hercules flat head 6) Craigs Rochester NY area. I called the factory to see if there would be parts support. Steam Jenny bought them a while back and their website directed me to Davey (below). I think I used a contact phone # ( below) and after a transfer or two I reached a knowledgeable and helpful woman. She did not recognize the mod # and asked for different number suggesting a few alpa/num strings. She said that the old military ones have mod (oe ser?) the may start with M or C, that those were made by a sub contractor and there are no parts of any kind for them (I assume thru them). She suggested avoiding it.

http://www.daveycompressor.com/thankyou.html

Attachments

JMJINC

That’s probably the case for most parts. I contacted a military acquisition companyand got me quote for parts. Althoughthey were ridiculous prices they were available. But keep in mind that a machinist can makeanything!

The military has plenty of partsI'm sure just have to wait and watch for them to surplus them. Just returned with two more yesterday from NMI will get hem checked out tomorrow. That’sa cool pic of that old compressor. Ithink most of the problems with these units is not over use it’s just that theysit around too much.

SkipR

About Jenny Products RE: Davey Air Compressors 03/06/2017. Called Jenny Products and the lady said the Jenny sold the Davey Air Compressor line to " TECO" who ever they are?? and then she said that TECO sold it to " DRF" which maybe a mining company maybe. The is someone in Gretna, NE. that works on them and I can't right now find the phone number but I did get the phone number from the people in Omaha, NE that work on Ingersol Rand air compressors. As of this date I can't tell if they even make Davey Air Compressors any more.

Reason I got into this is because I did buy a > 7MC2A unit with a HATZ 2G40 engine W/O a cooling fan which I am looking for but I think I can get a after market one if I have to. Also the unit has been " purged " I assume fluids drained I assume for what ever reason before the sale. I don't have a clue about he compressor purge or not as I don't know how to check the oil level all thought I did find out I hold 1/2 gallon of oil.

The guy in Gretna, NE said the 46 hyd fluid would work but the correct oil is a special oil at about $26.00 a gallon, but the company in TX. said the use 15w/40 and the are going to get back to me on whether it is det or none det. The company in TX are gov contractors that work on these unit etc. I asked about manuals and they said that all they have to go on is Military technical orders.

SkipR

Yes the school door was also open for me as well I found out. When I bought my 7MC-2A I had to find a fan that had was missing, which was my fault as it was also missing in the picture. I did find one, a Flex-a- Lite 14" 24 volt which was almost a perfect fit after I installed 4 rivet nuts. But after I got the unit home I noticed a repair sticker tag on the side of the compressor with a > dated a month before the date on the gov service sheet < and the service sheet had a note that said " compressor worn ". Worked on in May 2016, compressor worn June 2016.

Called the repair place PUMP CO. in TX and they said it should be working because when they get these unit in they replace any worn parts. I think all they did was paint it with aluminum paint. SO now I have taken off and disassembled the compressor all except the rotor and first thing I found is a broken adjusting spring at he unload valve PART # 25686. I called on place in Florida and they had the spring ( I Think ) that what they said and they also said that they had a $200.00 minimum order charge, that's for a $5 or $10 dollar spring OUNCH. Another place was the NSN in Florida that came back and side that the compressor unit had been " decommission " and parts are not longer made.

What to do?? I will get into the rotor today and see what that looks like. I do have a company in KCMO that make spring for me but the set up charge is quit expensive also.
Would like to know the whereabouts of the people that bought these compressor unit just for the HATZ engine. GTG thanks for taking a look here and any ideas on the little spring would be most welcome. Also I called back the place with the $200.00 min charge and asked them to send me a list of all the parts that they have for the Davey 7mc.2a compressor units, I hope its a good list.

Last edited:

SkipR

After a lot of research I came up with the oil > Mobil Rarus 427 Air Compressor Oil < I bought it a Amazon and it was threw SOZO and that included the shipping. Should take about 3 1/2 quarts according to the manual. 04/15/2017

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks