• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Db2 IP rebuild vs purchase new/refurb

cliffyp

I just got a quote from my local stanadyne service center of $900 and change to rebuild an IP. Seems like I see prices online for refurbished ones in $500-600 range.

Those who have gone either route, what kind of prices have you paid.?

I feel better dealing with a local authorized shop incase I have any problems, as apposed to some online store. At the same time, I don't want to pay way more than I should for what may be a quality product online.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Diesel Pump & Injector in Houston did mine for $500 and change. dieselpumpinjector.com They do UPS'd in pumps all day long.

cliffyp

That was the price for a rebuild? My concern with sending my pump off is that I'd get a similar priced quote. The price for a rebuild is going to vary depending on what's needed. I need a new housing apparently. Only way to get a second opinion is to send it somewhere. If it's a similar quote, then I'm into the shipping as well.

I looked on dieselpumpinjector.com's site, but didn't see that they sell refurbed Db2's, seems the only choice would be to send them mine.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes, I dropped off my trashed DB2 and got back my rebuilt unit. Not sure how things would work out if you needed a housing. That might be why the Stanadyne quote was so high.

Skinny

I paid about $500 for an off the shelf DB2 which the factory tech tweaked to the correct specs for a 6.2 J code engine. They simply took mine as a core. This was all factory certified warranty stuff.

I thought your quote was parts and labor, that would make sense. $900 for a reman'd DB2 is rediculous. From what I have read $300 is bottom barrell poor quality typical ebay level stuff. Don't get me wrong there are plenty of good vendors on ebay selling DB2 pumps, don't expect to get one at that price point unless it has a reused head and other big ticket parts. I think somewhere around $500 is what to expect in most places although city may be slightly higher. Upwards of $1000 should get you a brand new DB2.

cliffyp

The way the tech explained it to me was, it's like a worn out engine that can be bored out to take oversized piston/rings, but my pump is too worn to be able to rebore it. The $900 is all inclusive and I would basically have a new pump that would be able to be rebuilt down the road because it's starting with a fresh housing.

I was a little surprised by the price tag because I had seen them online for 500-600. I don't mind paying a bit of a premium if I'm getting a quality pump that will last, but would my $900 dollar pump be any better than your $500 pump?

GPrez

I got a rebuilt unit from thedieselstore.com for my M1009 a few years ago for I think about $350. Just looked them up and it's $515 now. You send them your old unit, but you don't get the same unit back you send them. Mine has worked flawlessly so I have no complaints.

Sharecropper

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Although my M1028 had only 12,338 miles when I purchased it, the truck spent its entire life mostly parked on a National Guard base in Arizona. After Dependable Auto Shippers delivered it to me in Kentucky, and after a thorough inspection and evaluation, it was obvious that the Arizona heat had fried all rubber, and I assumed the rubber seals in the IP were also suspect. So as part of my frame-up rebuild/restoration, I decided to have my IP rebuilt. I contacted Cincinnati Diesel Injection and they would not commit to an exact price, because they said they wouldn't know what all would need to be replaced until they inspected my unit. I explained to them that I did not want an exchange, but instead I wanted MY IP rebuilt. In a leap of faith, I used my engraving tool to inscribe my name on the housing, boxed the unit and shipped it to Cincinnati. About a week later I got a call from the technician assigned to my pump. He said the pump appeared to be in excellent condition, except the rubber seals were deteriorated. Since it was important to me to have peace of mind of a reliable pump, I informed him that I wanted to completely rebuild the unit. We agreed on a price of $550 to completely rebuild my original pump, and this included a new check valve on top of the unit. I gave him my credit card info, and a couple weeks later, UPS delivered my rebuilt pump. I also purchased new Bosch injectors and glow plugs from Cincinnati, and these were included in the shipment. I had already found and purchased an NOS high-idle switch, but before re-installing the unit I decided to paint the bracket 383 Green. I also installed an NOS vacuum advance module on the side of the pump (this was difficult to find). I then installed all parts on the engine, including an NOS open-plane manifold. After bleeding the system the truck fired right up and run perfectly. It now cranks instantly after normal glow plug cycling, and runs strong and smooth down the road. My recommendation - spend the money to have your pump completely rebuilt, and if your budget can stand it, go ahead and install new injectors and glow plugs. Make sure all connections are tight and all air is removed through proper bleeding.

Hope this helps.

Attachments

Last edited:

sschaefer3

I bought a supposed re-built unit from Pensicola fuel injection. I did not have to send a core in. The unit they sent me was from a Van. It ran ok, but did the no start when hot. I luckily had my original pump and had it re-built locally and the truck has never ran better.

You never know when you ship it out, could be good, could be bad.

In the end I had MY original pump re-built as well. Mine ran $1200 as the head was scorn.

Last edited:

dependable

I had one rebuilt for under $500 at American Diesel Service. They seemed competent and they rebuilt and sent me one right away and I sent them my core back in their box. I think the core charge was around $150 if I had not sent mine back. Truck runs fine now.

Skinny

I think with the age and condition of most of these trucks, bad or leaky IP's should be addressed with a quality reman unit right from the start. This along with fuel filter/lines and GP system repairs will ensure that the truck fires every time. It's a lot of money up front but you will be happy with the results.

Everything said and done, I probably spent over a grand between new FM100 units, lines, IP, batts, alternator rebuilds etc. but my truck has sat for the last 2+ months with nothing more than some diesel additive put in the tank. It fired up in sub freezing temps without a jump, ether, or any other assist. All the usual no starts or drivability issues are a result of age and low maintenance.

Cucvnut

I bought a supposed re-built unit from Pensicola fuel injection. I did not have to send a core in. The unit they sent me was from a Van. It ran ok, but did the no start when hot. I luckily had my original pump and had it re-built locally and the truck has never ran better.

You never know when you ship it out, could be good, could be bad.

In the end I had MY original pump re-built as well. Mine ran $1200 as the head was scorn.

I had the same issue with that shop. THey are horrible I wiould never buy from them again.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Generally they don't replace the head or rotor when they rebuild IPs, they check them out and if they are within spec they reuse them. I haven't priced a DB2 but if the head and rotor are junk (they have to be replaced together) it can get pretty expensive.

Also, if you need a new head and rotor, you basically have a paperweight. There are a few small cheap parts in there you can salvage but other than the housing, you don't have much left.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks