• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

DC-3??? flying over all day

camp9

I've had this flying over our area for the last two days. Thought it was from the EAA in Oshkosh but it made 20 or 30 passes over our area. Says USA under the wing, very nice looking plane, thought I"d post some pics of it.

Attachments

RangerBob

With that many passes, it probably isn't mapping. EAA AirVenture 2012 should be just about wrapped up about now, but maybe they are still giving rides? I got a ride in a Ford Tri-Motor back in the '80s and it would have passed over the same area many, many times per day.

Heath_h49008

The modification to the nose and the rectangular panel of the bottom make me think that's an aerial survey plane... Or WAS an aerial survey plane someone has restored to it's duty markings.

combatmech

It's a Gooney Bird for sure.... C-46's are H U G E in comparison. Might be old Army markings. I had seen L-19/O-1's painted up like that. Not sure what era though.... Boy, ain't I a lot of help....:beer:

Needle

With that many passes, it probably isn't mapping. EAA AirVenture 2012 should be just about wrapped up about now, but maybe they are still giving rides? I got a ride in a Ford Tri-Motor back in the '80s and it would have passed over the same area many, many times per day.
It is definately of the DC-3/C-47 line of aircraft. It wasn't on the Warbird Transport ramp at Wittman Regional at all during the week and certainly didn't fly in the airshow. (I was up there with a C-47). However, other than the B-29 and the B-17, I dont know what else was operating out of Fon-du-Lac/Appleton.

WarrenD

Looks to be set up for aerial mapping, which would explain the number of flights. Each pass has to overlap, so they will fly back and forth to cover a given area. Markings may be to calm the nervous nellies.

camp9

When I first seen it saturday I figured it was from the EAA, because it would take about 3 hours and they show back up again. The nice thing about living here is I get to see a lot of the planes that end up there as they follow the lake, but on Sunday all it was doing was going up and down the peninsula. I never counted but I'd say 30 times anyway and pretty low, maybe 3000' even lower at times. I do think it's got the growers nervous, see a lot of 4 wheelers driving around headed to the state land. I was thinking mapping too, but it kept following the same path. We have a lot of windmills going up, maybe they were mapping for the next phase of the project. Got me, but it was fun to watch.

vtdeucedriver

If they were mapping, there are aircraft that are much cheaper to operate to Carry a camera. Interesting pics, want to get a better look than via iPhone.

JSF01

They saw your truck and thought they were over an Air Base. The constant fly overs was them trying to figure out where the runway was to land.

tlmob1

That DC-3 was hired by the NOAA to map the area. It flew over door county 2-4 days twice. They are mapping the landscape to update NOAA survey records. This is what was passed over the local radio.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks