• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Dead batteries

CUCVFAN

Gunner's Mate First Class
Steel Soldiers Supporter
tomc said:
Have a similar problem with my M1010. Drove it home from AL, ran great. Had problems with alternators, bottom one needed repair. Both batteries were checked out and found to be good. Can charge them up and put back into vehicle. Seems to have a fuel problem, listed under that thread. But if batteries sit over night they loose all charge. Any ideas?

thanks,

Tom in TN
Do you leave the master light toggle switch on all the time? In my experience, that was a bad idea... Kills the front battery, if I remember right.

swyne

Hello gentlemen, I purchased a M1028 with the M1010 pkg under the hood this summer form a guy out in WA. Had it shipped to NY. I bought the truck with the charging issue explained to me by the owner. He had said the same thing about after a few days of sitting the front battery will go dead and it was a problem with these types of set ups in these trucks. First thing I noticed it did have the conversion of the wires done. The guy I bought it from went ahead a bought a new "blue box" to try to fix the problem. I noticed right off the bat that the batts were 2 very small Duralasts like 550CCA. I took a measurement of the batts (while running) and thought that the output was kinda low. One was 12.1V the other was 11.5V. I then removed both 28V alts took them to the best place in town and they went right thru them. bought 2 new Deka 6TL's. Now that truck sits for a month w/out starting and no problems. Took a measurement of the batts before starting 25 days sitting period and the read 12.8V to 13.0V. While running there putting out 13.8V to 14V. They did a fantastic job on the alts. They came back to me all cleaned a painted just like new! Its a low milaged truck and (rust free!!) Plans are a CARC repaint and some HUMVEE tires and wheels. Inwhich I all have its just finding the time. BTW does anyone happen to know how many of these truck were made in '87 (the M1028 w/ the M1010 pkg)? Thanks

CUCVFAN

Gunner's Mate First Class
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I do not have any #'s for them, but I believe they were all made in '87. I have seen probably 20-30 over the years, and they have all been 1987's.

jj

But you can use 24 volts from the SYSTEM to charge batteries. I suspected triple A would just laugh if i called them and said, " come jump start my 24 volt truck". So, i put a pair of batteries in the back by the spare tire, wired in series. Then i used 10ga. wire through a double pole switch to the 24v buss bar for the radio power in the back seat. I open the switch when the truck sits, to keep from losing the auxillary batteries to any potential parasitic drains in the system. After i start, i close the switch and the batteries stay charged. If i need to jump start myself, i just drag out a set of homemade 1AWG jumper cables. Someday i'll track down a NATO slave cable end and i won't even have to open the hood.

tourdog

well my m1010 needed the blue box but after lots time tring to find one way to much $$$said hell with this put 2 160 amp 12 volt alts on put 12 volt starter in move on in life never look back have not had a bit of trouble also took out glow plug rester on fire wall that was my 12 volt convertion did nothing alse works great

tomc

Tried to charge up the two batteries as well as jumping the front one (worked when the top alternatro fell out on way back from Al.) The gauge inside the dash did not go above the yellow so I suspecth that the charging system is still having problems. I had both alternators checked out and the bottom one needed to be rebuilt. Did notice that there were two or three glow plug wires unplugged. Suspect that they had been bad so that is why they were disconnected. The batteries charge up to the point were the glow plug indicator light goes out and when I switch the key to the start position it zaps everything. THe relay on the fire wall (pretty sure it is the glow plug relay) gets too hot to touch. Think that it is time to convert to 12 volt. Intend on using this vehicle for our safety training business and cannot afford to be on the road at night and have 24volt problems when no one in the area knows how to work on them. Any and all advice is greatly acceptable.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks