• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Dead in the water

CGregson

After 2 months of being solid, the truck is dead in the water. Wife, kids and I went to go have a spin tonight and nothing, no sounds, no lights when I go to switch it on. I just moved it last night and it was fine. All switches were off. No idea where to start, but I thought I'd post here for ideas on where to start. tested both batteries thus far and they are testing 12.5 and 12.47. Any ideas?

erasedhammer

Faulty grounds.. check all grounding straps and studs.
Check all wires leading from the battery to make sure EVERYTHING is connected up down there.
Check your ignition switch to see if the wires are hooked up properly.
Put a voltmeter on the switch itself to see if it even works

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
After 2 months of being solid, the truck is dead in the water. Wife, kids and I went to go have a spin tonight and nothing, no sounds, no lights when I go to switch it on. I just moved it last night and it was fine. All switches were off. No idea where to start, but I thought I'd post here for ideas on where to start. tested both batteries thus far and they are testing 12.5 and 12.47. Any ideas?

Funny Story...

When my HMMWV was new to me, I had the same issue. I was about to go digging.

Then I remembered to place my three speed tranny shifter into Neutral.

Suddenly I felt happy she started and yet I felt ridiculous.

Moral... Look for simple things first.

Best,

T

CGregson

Funny Story...

When my HMMWV was new to me, I had the same issue. I was about to go digging.

Then I remembered to place my three speed tranny shifter into Neutral.

Suddenly I felt happy she started and yet I felt ridiculous.

Moral... Look for simple things first.

Best,

T
man I wish

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NormB

Had same thing happened to me with mine six months ago.

Ignition switch had a bad lead. fixed temporarily then bought some new packard connectors.

Like Tobash said, start simple.

jeffy777

My check list:
1. I would test over both batteries. It should be 23.5 to 25.5. Your reading of 12.5 and 12.47 would tend to indicate 24.97 but I do not know if that is true.(page 12-1 of HMMWV Component testing and trouble shooting)
2. Turn the light switch on to see if head light works. (you may not be getting voltage out of the battery box) therefore you will want to check your shunt if no voltage goes out.
3. You may have poor grounding this is normal for HMMWV. You can create your own or order one from Kascar. (I would get this done either way if you have not. One excuse out of the way.)
4. If all the other stuff is good you may have a blown circuit breaker (see 12-3) or a bad control box, bad start switch, bad neutral switch, lose cables (see picture on 12-1). (I would jiggle my shift indicator to neutral and check the cables to the start switch.)

If you need or want more from there I will give you more.

Good luck!

Bulldogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just because the positive and negative terminals are solidly bolted on in the battery compartment doesn't mean they are solidly bolted on the OTHER SIDE of the big post. It has its own threaded side and nuts to check.

I second putting in a secondary grounding harness. Can get wire at home depot and make terminal ends from crushed copper pipe like I did, or be fancy and buy one. Effect is the same.

I second checking the connections to the Ignition switch and lighting panel. Follow the wires and check each place they junction or have connectors.

You'll find it.

Bulldogger

CGregson

Quick update, I got out the multimeter and tested around per the TM. Wasn't getting a solid trail to go on. Went back to the battery tests, and the batteries were testing all weird/low. Tested individual batteries, and still over 12V each. On a whim went back to starter switch and now it all works. Anyhow, I'm going to leave it alone for now and I've ordered the Kascar grounding kit as my best next course of action. Thanks for all the replies and thoughts. I'll tackle this one holistically with the add of the grounding harness and battery cutoff switch.

NormB

Quick update, I got out the multimeter and tested around per the TM. Wasn't getting a solid trail to go on. Went back to the battery tests, and the batteries were testing all weird/low. Tested individual batteries, and still over 12V each. On a whim went back to starter switch and now it all works. Anyhow, I'm going to leave it alone for now and I've ordered the Kascar grounding kit as my best next course of action. Thanks for all the replies and thoughts. I'll tackle this one holistically with the add of the grounding harness and battery cutoff switch.

"Went back to starter switch and now it all works."

Meaning?

Starter switch is bad? Loose wire?

When you DO install the cutoff switch, check all the large battery wires for corrosion at the terminals. I had one that was being held on by the heat-shrink alone, as have several other people here. Copper salts will only conduct so much current - you'll get a good voltage reading - and then not enough to start the truck sometimes.

Probably a good time to "gut" the battery box, check all connections, take some light steel wool to them and add something like "Deoxit" and reassemble with a liberal slathering of dielectric grease.

This way, one component at a time, you're bringing the truck back to spec and can "trust" that system won't (or will be less likely to) fail.

Have fun.

CGregson

Well for now, meaning no conclusion. Automagically is working for now. i don't expect this to be the end, but I moved onto other things while I'm waiting for my wire harness to show up. I've cleaned and serviced the batteries already, but I don't feel I did a good enough job on the wires (thinking back after your suggestion). So when the wire harness shows up it'll be install that and clean up all battery wires thoroughly and re-install.

Thanks all!!!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks