• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Death Wobble... Almost fixed....

Makincold

So I had (have...) the death wobble on my M1028
Ordered a new Moog SSD84 Steering Damper SUPER TRAIL BOSS
$19.99 + Shipping!
Installed in about 15 minutes
Drive at 50MPH no death wobble!
All the parts on the way for kingpin bushings and springs which I hope to do this weekend, but very surprised the difference the steering damper made!
Reading hundreds of post here pays off!
Thanks to all who have suffered the death wobble before me :D

Shrapnel

Just a Hoosier stuck out west!
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Makincold, did you ever install your D60 bushing/spring kit? I just did mine today and it went pretty easy. I got lucky and both upper spring plates popped up under the spring pressure when I removed the bolts. A lot of people have complained about them being seized up.

Here are some pictures. I know you talked about doing this at the Georgia rally. If you haven't yet, I say GO FOR IT! It should be a cake-walk compared to just about anything you need to do to your M818...

Attachments

Shrapnel

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I only had time for a short run today but I did a few hard brake tests and had ALMOST zero death wobble. My 37's are balanced with antifreeze inside them and I think that sudden stopping messes up the dynamic balancing, making it shake some. You can see my new springs were noticeably taller than my old ones. I think my lower kingpin bearing might need checked as well. I don't get any wobble by hand when checking it out on jack stands, but you never know what you have until you tear into it.

My alignment and steering seems tighter as well. I think it was moving around on me some while driving before.

Shrapnel

Steel Soldiers Supporter
isnt there bushings on the bottom also?
The bottom of the knuckle has a bearing.

I just got done stress-testing my M1010. I hit the interstate for the very first time since owning the truck. With my 37's I figured I'd be OK at 65. Well, it does 65 fine, but the engine still sounds like it's dying at interstate speeds. I hit 69 mph and I don't think I hit the governor. From the way it sounded at that speed I plan to never come close to hitting the governor again...

Driving wise I was AOK. Handling has really tightened up after replacing the upper kingpin bushing and spring. Definitely worth the relatively minor effort. Combined with my new tie rods, drag link, steering stabilizer and shocks this thing is starting to drive really well.

Makincold

Hey Shrapnel!
No, I havent installed them yet, but thanks fo rthe photos!
How long did it take?
Its on my list, but the list of projects is just to long!
What steering stabilizer do you have?

HeadWizard

In my experience the Death Wobble came from a couple of issues, including tires with broken belts internally. New steering stabilizers just mask the issue for a while.

Shrapnel

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The whole job took me a Saturday morning. I ended up doing the passenger side twice because when I was adding grease my gun wouldn't release the zerk fitting and broke it off. I ended up making two trips to the hardware store.

My stabilizer is from Carquest Auto Parts. It didn't have anything branded on it, but it looks just like a Rancho or a ProComp shock. They had it in stock so I went for it!

The rest of the knuckle is on my to-do list now. After seeing the improvements from just the upper bushing I'm anxious to do the rest to make it drive even better.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks