• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Death Wobble and future plans

EF-5

Alright so I just installing 37" run flats on 2" steel spacers. I had a long day Saturday fighting with them. I trimmed the fenders and bent in the wheel well back just enough so the tires don't scrub when fully turned (I have a permanent solution coming soon). However, the inner part of the tire is rubbing the drag link bar, so I have plans of adjusting the turn stop a little. I took it out for a spin and at 40mph encountered the death wobble...:shock:. Crazy stuff. The run flats were supposed to have already been precisely balanced, but I don't think that is the case. They have weights on them, but precise would be an exaggeration. I am going to check all the steering linkages, I have the ORD kingpin kit on its way, and I'm going to order a MOOG steering stabilizer very soon. I will eventually get an alignment, and my wheels balanced, but before that I want to get the lift planned out so I don't undo the alignment. Thanks by the way for all of the information on the death wobble!

My plans are just to do a 2" lift consisting of Softride Skyjacker add a leafs on all sides and Bilstein 5100's. In order to accomplish the small lift does it only take one extra leaf on each side? The add a leafs come in pairs for around $88 with the tie bolts. Also will I need longer U-bolts for this, or is it not that drastic of a change? Any heads up on stuff I'll need would be great!

islandguydon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
looks like your work is just about to begin. Also of note a 4" might be a better ride and better clearance.

EF-5

Yeah I got a good month or so ahead of me lol. I was thinking about doing a 4" lift, but it just depends on my funds. I would rather do the rear shackle flip instead of the blocks, and probably cross over steering, and things just keep going up with the 4" lift lol. But we will see. Plus I'm the crazy storm chaser, I can only imagine what people would say if I added a 4" lift. I am also thinking about gear vendors as well. I'm selling my sport bike to add to some of the funds for this project.

ranchhopper

Do yourself a favor and replace the springs and bushings holding the king pins tight then get your lift put on I redid mine before putting on the four inch lift and humvee tires and wheels. They sell them on ebay relatively cheap and its a real easy job installing them if your truck has a death wobble someone pulling out in front of you is all it takes when you hit the hooks to throw you into the ditch or on comming traffic.

EF-5

Thanks ranchhopper! I should be getting the bushing and spring kit in tomorrow from ORD. I'm going to do all my front end a suspension upgrades before i go get the alignment and the tires balanced. That way I don't run the risk of screwing everything up again.

The truck is a really good truck though. I did convert to 12V already (I think it had been done to mine once before), installed all the gauges from sun pro where the stock gauges should go. I now have volt meter, engine temp, oil pressure, and transmission temp. I also installed an extra transmission cooler in front of the radiator. No leaks or anything, she holds everything at good levels. I just have to get this out of the way, and then I can start on the interior.

EF-5

Haha I will get some pictures up a little later today once I get home. By the way I fixed the turn stop thanks to the advice of AJMBLAZER. I bought a longer grade 8 bolt and now I have about 5/8" to 3/4" clearance between the drag link and the inner part of the tire. I also ordered the MOOG steering stabilizer today.

EF-5

These are the only pics that I could get today. Tomorrow I'll take a picture of the transmission cooler, and the T-fitting that holds the transmission temperature gauge sender. Those are 37" run flats with no lift.. for now!

Attachments

acesneights1

I'd say even a 6 inch lift. I have a 4 inch lift and 35x12.50x16.5 and that is about it without cutting fenders which I won't do. In fact, I'd go as far as to say with 14.50s I'd probably hit.

acesneights1

ORU sells the crossover kit. You will need a 2wd steering box. I don't personally think it's necessary for 6 inch lifts and under.

islandguydon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yeah I got a good month or so ahead of me lol. I was thinking about doing a 4" lift, but it just depends on my funds. I would rather do the rear shackle flip instead of the blocks, and probably cross over steering, and things just keep going up with the 4" lift lol. But we will see. Plus I'm the crazy storm chaser, I can only imagine what people would say if I added a 4" lift. I am also thinking about gear vendors as well. I'm selling my sport bike to add to some of the funds for this project.
You must be a youngster, who cares what people would say. If I saw your truck I would say, Right On man....!

I believe the difference between the two is about 30%. Good luck with your truck and post some pictures of the project and when your done.

EF-5

Granted that most of the truck will be used for the highway, anywhere between Georgia and Oklahoma lol. Off roading is just for fun, or in the case of an emergency, but I don't want to be scrubbing in any situation. I wish i had more money, but don't we all. The flip side of the coin is I have a solid five months before next storm season to finish this project up.

I am most likely going with the 4" lift, but is there anyway to achieve 4" of lift in the rear with add a leaf and zero rates? The highest add a leaf I have seen is 2.5". Would it be too weird to have 4" in the front, and 3.5" in the rear?

Also I have run flats, but couldn't find the standard operating psi for them. It says 50psi on the tire, but I didn't know if that was run flat sensitive, or if that was for 37" radials in general. Anybody know??

Thanks again guys!

EF-5

I got them from Militaryoffroad.net. They are located about an hour from where I live. They were $595 for the four, including wheels, with 90% tread.

65BAJA

To find the proper tire pressure for your truck:

1. find a nice flat road.
2. rub a wide chalk line all the way across the tread
3. drive truck forward 100 yards or so
4. lower tire pressure 5 psi at a time until the whole line disappears

My guess would be about 35psi for that weight of an unloaded 1008 on 37's.

EF-5

Ok, so I found out that my psi is way off right now, and it most definitely contributed to my death wobble. I'm a little embarrassed to say how off :oops:. However, I will deflate a little and try her out again tomorrow. Hopefully this had a lot to do with the wobble, but I will still rebuild the kingpin.

Which brings me to another question.....

I have read that you can preload the kingpin springs with washers? This is supposed to compensate for heavy, large tires. How exactly do you do that, and is it recommended? How many washers, and where do I place them??