• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Death Wobble/HMMWV Wheels

HOGGIN84

Hello Ive done some researching on SS, and found a few post semi helpful. But I was looking for someone who is (or has or has not) successfully running 16.5" HMMWV wheels with 36s or like setup. Took my 1984 M1010 into an automotive shop and they did some inspecting and testing on her, and came up with the conclusion that my HMMWV wheels and some spacers?? Were causing my 35mph DW. They put some regular sized GM wheels and tires on her and she ran down the road like a top.....and basically I need to get some new GM wheels. Can anyone shed some light on my situation? my tires are the wrangler 12.5/16.5/36 mil tires and 16.5 HMMWV wheels....and any idea of the spacers they speak of ??? If there are any ?s just ask i am new to the CUCV, 4x4 and steel soldier world...but loving it so far...just want to enjoy my new ride!!!

sp00n

is your runflat inside the tire crooked? have you broken the tires down and made sure they are seated properly on the wheels?

Westech

CPL
If you have not replaced your king pin bushings and springs along with a new steering stabilizer DO IT! The rims will put more pressure on the joints but it will only wobble if the bushings are worn. Like what was stated above make sure the run flats are taken out/already removed.
Spacers are needed to make the rims not rub on the axles and steering components. By the sounds of it you had no idea what you were running or how the truck has been modded. Time to look over the truck and get familiar with her.

OL AG '89

Did you get the tire shop to balance the wheel/tire? I just bought some 37x12.5x16.5 HUMMV "takeoffs" I have'nt mounted them yet, still loking for steel 16.5 rims. If yours balance out, them start looking into suspension issues.

HOGGIN84

WOW!! Thanks for all the quick responses....i think i will get a second opinion, just got my cucv and spent a good deal of time on the electrical system as that is my background in the military and i am departing for Fort Mccoy in a week and then on to Afghanistan, seemingly my wife has put a kabosh on extra garage time...but believe i will break down the wheels and tires and start from there inward and buy part accordingly while im deployed!!!! but anymore info that can be thrown at my problems will be greatly appreciated and heeded....printing all this info now!!!!

Bighurt

I've had issues with Bias ply tires before, they look fine but at about 35 you get a wicked wobble. I agree with the others, check your bushings, and balance.

SETOYOTA

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Some of your problem is the tires. the old bias tires are crap and most likely have flat spots. Also the they will most likely have the old magnesium run flats in them which adds to the problem.

TCUCV

Spacers are needed to make the rims not rub on the axles and steering components.
Do you have a suggestion of where to get these spacers? I'm going to be purchasing a set of old Hummer wheels and tires(36/12.50/r16.5) soon, so I want to make sure I'm set up from the beginning. I didn't know they would rub on your steering . . . Thanks,

Matt65

Do you have a suggestion of where to get these spacers? I'm going to be purchasing a set of old Hummer wheels and tires(36/12.50/r16.5) soon, so I want to make sure I'm set up from the beginning. I didn't know they would rub on your steering . . . Thanks,
Factory GM / old Ford wheels have worked great for me. They can be found cheap because of the age, and diameter. I'm not crazy about spacers, but they will work.