• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Debating about buying a M37

frogprince

Hello,

Been reading the forum quite a bit. Nothing else to do before I leave on a trip and want to return to the Mopar world with a truck to help with remodeling and to take camping. I have narrowed it back down to a Sweptline Dodge or a M37. I love the looks of the M37 and the good old fashioned design.

I found one about 3 hours north of me but since I am new to these I have reservations about it.

1) It doesn't have a top. He pulled the top off to use on another M37. Would like to do a canvas top.
2) 4-5" rust hole in the bed
3) How hard to find glass for the windows?

He is asking to much for it and I am really considering this as an option. I am not worried about working with my hands and rebuilding mechanical things is a hobby.

eickhof-060114-66m37-1.jpgeickhof-060114-66m37-2.jpgeickhof-060114-66m37-3.jpgeickhof-060114-66m37-4.jpg

Storm 51

Just a Grunt
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just a few things I noticed looking at your pictures.

The engine looks pretty complete and largely unmolested. The original fuel filter is missing.
The bed has been stripped of lots of its components (seats, side racks, tool box doors, spare tire carrier (maybe on this item), bed bow storage straps, bed bows and the safety strap above the tail gate.
The top is a converted CCKW top. the Army did this on early trucks.
The interior of the cab tells me that at one time the truck had the B1 door mounted spare tire. Also, it looks like it may have been a winch truck at one time (hole in the floor pan covering the transmission, left side by the gas pedal).
Check the glove box door for the data plates. These will tell you a lot.
The serial number is stamped into the frame on the left side just behind the front axle (outside of the frame). This will also help you get a lot more information. It should match the numbers on the glove box data plates.

The glass is all flat glass and you can get it at any auto glass shop. The beds can be repaired and there are reproduction floors available.

Are you comfortable going slow on the road? This truck is happiest under 45 to 50 MPH. It will carry an incredible load across very ugly terrain, but S-L-O-W-L-Y!

Try talking to the folks over on G741. It is a M-37 site that is strictly M-37 (and variants).

Good Luck with search for a truck!

armytruck63

I would only worry about two things with this truck: How much has the interior deteriorated since the top was removed? Can the seller replace some of the missing parts, like the spare tire carrier or the tool box doors? Those parts can be found, but it would be nice to get them without too much searching.

M37's are great trucks. They have the big truck feel, but you can park them in a regular garage. Watch out, you could get the bug for bigger trucks (that's what happened to me). They only go about 45-48 mph comfortably. I won't go on the Interstate at that speed.

Last edited:

Tuko

If it runs but needs minor engine work and usual brake work that's a 2500-$3000 truck in the northeast. Nice thing is it may be dented or rusted but it's mostly all there! I'm not sure what you consider him asking too much money but as a point of reference that's what it's going rate would be around here. Any chance you have better picture of the rims, specifically the driver rear?

frogprince

He says it runs and drives. I haven't seen it in person but debating about making the drive and going to go see it.

I understand that these things are slow. I might have to take it on the interstate in a few areas to get by where you can't. The normal places I would like to head off road I can access via back roads.

I wish I had some better pictures of the truck. I am not going to restore this to a original. There is another one that is further away that is more money but been converted to a V8, 12 volt and etc. Body is in better shape on that one but has more body work done to it with another seat installed. Just needs fuel and brakes.

My plans for the vehicle are fairly simple. I want to put a roll cage like system in it to haul a roof tent. I want to be able to enjoy the mountains with the front windows down. Then on the weekends run to the dump and or home depot for supplies.

ranger.41

Frog Prince,
It never hurts to checkit out. Bring cash. You know what is comfortable for you to spend. I believe Tuko is spot on with the
pricing. Look at the Midwest Military web site and check the parts prices. The truck will need new brakes, master and wheel cylinders
rubber brake lines. Possibly and most likely a carb rebuild and a fuel pump rebuild. How is the wiring? is the insulation cracked and falling off?
Does it run, or ran when parked. How are the tires. If you plan on driving alot on busy paved roads most likely they will need to be replaced.
Weigh the cost of parts and price of truck verses one that does not need alot of work and is running. Almost every time its cheaper in the long run to buy the best one you can afford. As opposed to a truck that has been sitting.You need to check it out in person. good luck truck hunting. Remember it is supposed to
be fun!
ranger.41

mcmullag

Maybe one thing to consider for your usage is that the axle gearing is like 5.83-1 so you get like 6 to 8 mpg.
They are cool looking. If I have one someday I would probably trailer it to places

Storm 51

Just a Grunt
Steel Soldiers Supporter
One thing I forgot to mention: be sure to check the flat area under the the headlights on the front fenders. That area often rusts out and currently finding "patch panels" can be difficult.

Sorry I forgot to mention it earlier.

Good Luck with your truck hunting!

TGP (IL)

One thing I forgot to mention: be sure to check the flat area under the the headlights on the front fenders. That area often rusts out and currently finding "patch panels" can be difficult.

Sorry I forgot to mention it earlier.

Good Luck with your truck hunting!
Charles @ mseriesrebuild is now making the patch panels.

Looks like a decent start.
Tom