• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Delayed start

tkgvz

Any feedback would be appreciated but picked up my first M923a2 from New Castle a few weeks ago. Drove it 170 miles back home to northern va. ABS light on the entire time. Voltmeter never moved from red. GL guy said he had to jump it but all I have done at home is turn battery switch on and after about a minute you hear a click and the gauges come to life. all but the voltmeter anyway. It fires right up. small 15amp fuse under and to the left of steering collumn is burned out. replaced twice but keeps burning out as soon as battery switch comes to life. low air, parking brake, and some other light to the left of steering collumn do not work, but dif lock and high beam light do work.

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
I believe that fuse is for the abs. The control module is more than likely bad. You could have a bad protective control box causing some of your other symptoms the best thing to do is follow the troubleshooting procedure in the tm. I would advise against driving it until you work out the electrical gremlins.

plumkrazy

Check your batteries to see if they have a good charge. Your alt. won't like trying to charge 4 almost dead batteries. Also check all electrical connections on the batteries, ground straps, connections on the alt. and starter etc. Good luck

wheelspinner

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Double check the bottom right lug that mounts the PCB. The ABS and PCB share a ground at that point. It needs to have clean metal contact all the way to the truck. Take out the spacer etc and make sure the ends are not painted. A bad ground can easily cause the PCB to "hunt" for one.

tkgvz

The truck definitely must of had a fresh paint job and will check for that bad ground. Nothing has been maintained since the new paint job. All grease fittings (lots of fittings) had paint all over them. Is it normal for the army to send such a truck to auction even tho it had lots of 2012mwo's. I'm guessing one of those mwo's was some fresh paint. Paint didn't stick to well under the bed. Already peeling off in huge flakes. Underside seems kinda greasy too. No wonder the paint didn't stick.

Thanks for y'all's ideas.

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
The 2012 trucks were rebuilt under an existing contract even though the military was dumping all of the trucks the contract had to run to completion. The truck probably didnt see much if any use after rebuild. You just have to work out some small kinks its normal with a rebuilt truck. Your truck is a very nice looking truck. They reused a lot of stuff in the rebuild so dont expect everything to be new just because it has a nice coat of paint over it. The undersides are usually rustproofed with some sort of undercoating and its probably just the paint peeling is it black under the paint or do you see bare metal?

tkgvz

I wouldn't say it's bear metal showing. Definitely has a thin coat of something underneath. Just the heavy black undercoating is peeling off. Interesting about that contract. I guess with a contract pending it doesn't matter whether the army planned on getting rid of it or not. Found a couple places selling that control box that's bolted to the firewall under the hood on drivers side. Kinda pricy. Would like to narrow down the problem before I spent 400 bucks. Would hate to burn up a new one. Any hints on where to look in the TM? Thanks again fellas.

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
There are basically 2 big relays in the box and the contacts go bad over time. I dont believe you would burn a good one out unless there was a short somewhere in a high current circuit somewhere. In which case the truck would probably not start at all. The control boxes can be found cheaper I have bought them off other members for less than 100 bucks shipped.