• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Delco 27SI Type 200 vs. Type 100

mudman

Glad you like it. Have learned much. Kinda gone full circle. As Mudman stated earlier. Went to CUCV Electric and purchased Rebuild Kit. Should have gone that direction initially. Live and learn. Jarheads gotta do it their way. Still hope to get an off shelf for giggles. Local parts guy for shop is on the ropes now. I think he's going to snap. The only reason he has not told me to take my money and go to **** is because my company does so much business with them. Don't think he appreciates oh9 as much as I.:popcorn:
Donalloy, You know that most "off the shelf" alt's will not work in the CUCV..Right? They are Isolated Grounded, because there is two of them. Just checking. They are two different systems that need to to seperate of each other in order to work right.

trukhead

Will the rotor from a non isolated ground 27si interchange with the isolated ground alternator rotor. In other words, will the isolated ground case and appropriate internal connections work with regular rebuild guts to make an isolated ground alternator?:whistle:

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The only thing that is "dirrerent" in an isolated ground alternator is the fiber washers and mounting bolts for the internal rectifier. Also the "ground" stud.

The rotor, stator, regulator, brush holder, capacitor, etc are all the same as the regular 27si.

You can even make a regular civvy alternator into an isloated ground unit if you have the proper items.

This has been cover countless times.

Last edited:

trukhead

I'm gonna use a chasis ground on the driver side and paint it red with danger stripes and put a skull and cross bones on it as well as write on it "Chasis ground alternator, use on driver side only, use in any other position, sparks will fly and it won't be luv!!"
I have 3 CUCV's and 3 iso grounded alternators. One CUCV is converted to 12 v and I will just install a dual pulley on it and run 2 belts on the Driver side.
It was done to roscomen conversion but I am going to strip the extemporaneous wiring out and make it total simple, hmmm I digress.
I will use the search, Thanks a bunch :jumpin::grin:

donalloy1

Well, thought the saga was over. Rebuilt port side Alternator with complete kit from CUCV Electric. Very comprehensive kit by the way. Thanks for lead guys.

At idle the Gen 1 light is steady and bright. It is putting out perfectly though according to output test with VOM? Soon as you throttle up. Light goes out. Both idle and reved up volt meter is green. With or without accs on. Maybe a bad connection or something else????

Secondly, unit gets warm to touch during operation. May have not pressed rotor bearings into proper position or put in bind during reassembly? Hopefully she settles in to new enviernment without cooking electronics. My experience tells me she will smoke!

Will run Son to his D&D tourny and see how she reacts. Hopefully no tow situation. Will report back with more as I can technically do so.:cookoo:

cpf240

Does the Gen 1 light come back on after you rev the engine and it returns to idle? My understanding is that it is normal for the Gen 1 and 2 light to stay on until the alts are "excited' and reach a certain RPM, then the lights go out, and usually stay out. Mine works this way.

donalloy1

cpf240, yes they both iluminate during startup procedures. Then I agree once reved up they should not be lit. Mine excites then stays lit? Gen 1 only. Drove about 14 miles tonight and is still acting up? Do not think she will strand me though. Volt meter is in green and output is perfect.

Going to go through electrical with fine tooth comb now. Think I have bad connection somewhere? Time to become MORE familiar with my baby! MUST drive whenever possible. She is my life blood. I LOVE OD!
:popcorn:

Last edited:

cpf240

cpf240, yes they both iluminate during startup procedures. Then I agree once reved up they should not be lit. Mine excites then stays lit? Gen 1 only. Drove about 14 miles tonight and is still acting up? Do not think she will strand me though. Volt meter is in green and output is perfect.

Going to go through electrical with fine tooth comb now. Think I have bad connection somewhere? Time to become MORE familiar with my baby! MUST drive whenever possible. She is my life blood. I LOVE OD!
:popcorn:
I've read on here where the Gen 1 light has come on, or glowed at least, when the heater blower is on. I'm guessing it is due to the load of the blower motor and the known issues with the fan switch. It is my understanding that the Gen 1 circuit is tied in with the blower relay. Are there any other electrical items running when the Gen 1 light comes on?

I need to re-read the Delco Remy docs, but I think these Gen 1 / 2 lights are lit by current from the battery before the alts start outputting, then once the alts do output, it "balances out" and the current at the lights is essentially neutralized. So perhaps an excessive load could upset that balance and cause the lights to come on again, even with the alts putting out current.

donalloy1

Feedback at Gen 1 & 2 lights are not effected by accs - heater, headlamps etc. I think balance is the key here with my situation. Have an imbalance somewhere? Going in deep. Will report back as more is found. All being said. I am operational. [thumbzup]

donalloy1

Well here are my initail findings. Way out of balance. At least they are being charged!:cookoo:

Front Battery @ Idle 13vdc - run 15.85vdc
Rear Battery @ Idle 14.74vdc - run 14.80vdc

donalloy1

I agree Warthog! Thanks for input. Just purchased kit from CUCV Electric. Installed parts with great care? Will contact seller tomorrow and see if he will hook me up with another?:cookoo:

donalloy1

Hooked up with CUCV Electric today and they were very helpful! Said they would send another Regulator. Really appreciate them working with me on this problem. Said that I should clean and reterminate Hot Leads to Alternators on Firewall. Could be route of problem? Finished top rail and part of lower. Also cleaned and reterminated Bridge on Firewall. All is looking better. Found nothing suspect as I serviced. Continueing quest for perfection.:popcorn:

aspwholesale

Hello all,

The Delco 27Si type 100 civilian is the same except it is not isolated ground. It uses all the same internal components. We offer a complete rebuild kit for that unit less the rectifier insulators...you need to reuse the ones you have as thery are no longer available.

Visit the vendor section of this site to see what we offer for CUCV

ASPWholesale

MarcusOReallyus

I've bought from ASP Wholesale a couple of times. Other than the $10 minimum (which is a pain if all you need is a small part), it was a painless process, good prices, good quality parts, and timely shipping.

I see no need to go elsewhere for my future needs.

als804

Did you find out that M1008 alternator is the same size as 100type 27si? Actually i need new brush holder but I don’t know it is 100type or 200 type

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks