• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Demand for HMMWVs

KansasBobcat

Watching the news and seeing lots of HMMWVs being used on the east coast by PDs, etc. for rescue. I predict many departments may decide that they need a HMMWV or two just in case. They, of course, get first pick before Gov Planet and will siphon off some of the better vehicles. Just my conjecture...

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I doubt it'll change much. Most departments are afraid of the current stigma of the "militarized police" that loan vehicles cause.

Lawdog734

I doubt it'll change much. Most departments are afraid of the current stigma of the "militarized police" that loan vehicles cause.
Agreed. I think the novelty for many agencies have worn off. They get them for "emergencies" and then sit stagnant 98pct of them time. ****, I've got a sheriff's agency near me that has 12 of them for "emergencies" and most wouldn't start on demand if needed given how long they've sat unused.

2w091

Unless an agency has someone dedicated to keeping the vehicles FMC, they usually fall by the wayside and get transferred or turned back in. Most agencies also don't realize how maintenance intensive HMMWV's can be as well.
There will probably be a spike in acquisitions, but I don't see it effecting GP sales in any measurable way.
There are hundreds backlogged at DLA, they continue to be posted on the LESO site daily, most do not get acquired by LE agencies.

dpsmith

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Most sit stagnant with the military also. Every Department is different, some let them sit untouched and many, that I am familiar with, have someone assigned to keep them maintained and inventoried. LESO will continue to "cherry pick" all of the GL and GP inventories, but you are right most get passed on down.

2w091

At least the military ones sitting idle get scheduled maintenance, I drive ours weekly and try to keep up on the PMCS as best I can.
A neighboring agency called a few days ago, the guy that maintained theirs left the agency and it had been sitting for several months. I tested the batteries and one was bad, they were trying to get it running for potential snowfall. Hopefully the glow plug controller wasn't fried as well.
Once the guy dedicated to the vehicles leaves, the vehicles normally fall into disrepair. I like tinkering with ours and I've learned a lot from the tech data and here on this site.

Here is a good article from the Kentucky Police Training Academy on military surplus, it starts on page 18, there is also a counter-view from a college professor previous to page 18.

https://docjt.ky.gov/Magazines/Issue 55/index.html

Last edited:

tage

Agreed. I think the novelty for many agencies have worn off. They get them for "emergencies" and then sit stagnant 98pct of them time. ****, I've got a sheriff's agency near me that has 12 of them for "emergencies" and most wouldn't start on demand if needed given how long they've sat unused.

Sheriff in Phoenix has a tank out front of his office. Sitting on the transport trailer with the cannon facing the right way.

my69camaro

Town next to me got two slantbacks 2yrs ago. Looked to be in great shape, they had them painted up black at a local shop. They have sense sat in the same spot in the police parking lot unused. Keep thinking one day I may go there and ask to see the insides to take some notes for my own slantback swap but I doubt they'd let me. :)

jasonjc

My FD and PD both have one , haven't seen either one in a long time.

Come to think of it, years ago one of the local FD got a exCG boat. The chief was out on it every weekend. After the board got the fuel bill it never left the station again.

Last edited:

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sheriff's office has two here. The next city over has 2 or 3 as well for their PD. And I think the county/EMS has one or two maybe. (I know they had a M35A2 at one time, but it's gone.) None of the ones we have are slantbacks.

As to the boat, yeah, that fuel bill will put a stop to it... LOL.

2w091

Its too hot most of the year for law enforcement to use HMMWV in Southern AZ areas.
To be honest this is not a practical option for any departments anyways.
Agencies who acquired them for daily use learned a hard lesson, they are not practical for routine patrol. I've seen some modified helmet tops turned into K-9 vehicles, unless they have someone dedicated who is knowledgeable with maintenance I can't see those being practical.

We've put 2,200 miles on ours in 2 years, by average it's more than the army put on it yearly. They are very practical and useful in certain situations, that's what we use ours for. They are also great for special events, kids (and adults) love to crawl around in them and get their pictures taken.

We also are on call for the county EMA for certain types of emergencies, when it snows or storms agencies with HMMWV's are the most popular guys in the county..............:razz:

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks